1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Comparing SVT speakers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rob Mancini, Mar 1, 2008.

1. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    I remember seeing a thread on here back in my lurking days about an SVT cab loaded with Edens meant for Billy Sheehan but sent to a music store by mistake, and they had to get it back to send to Billy. Then I bought the Ampeg history book, and it says that SVT cabs were once available with Edens as an upgrade.

So it got me thinking about the different SVT cabs I've used over the years and how they sounded. I've played them with pretty much everything Ampeg has offered in them except for the Edens, and my favorite are the early 70's CTS speakers in my vintage cab. They don't handle nearly as much power as the later Eminences and Electro-Harmonix speakers (correct me if I'm wrong but I think Ampeg's using the EH speakers as stock these days), but they sound more hi-fi than the EH's or Eminences, with a more pronounced sparkle on the higher freqs and a bit less boxy sounding low mid.

Has anyone on here played through an Eden-loaded SVT cab? If so, what did you think? Judging by my impression of Eden cabs I've played, I would think they would sound really good, more like the CTS's than the Eminences.

BTW, how long before Ampeg comes out with an SVT Neo 8x10? I'll bet it's out by next year's NAMM show. I'm surprised they didn't get one out already, but I guess they have their hands full just getting their current product line situated. Markbass got the jump on them bigtime with a neo 8x10". I think neos would go a long way to making current SVT cabs sound more like vintage cabs but be able to handle 1000w. That seems to be the tradeoff with the vintage speakers...they sound great but only take 250w. Not an issue for me but definitely an issue for the average deathmetaler.

2. The CTS speakers handle much more than 30 watts each regardless of what Ampeg's old sales literature says. The closest reasonable figure we have found through research is that they were 60-70 watts each. That may sound fantastic, but consider that many of the early cabs are still in service. Especially considering that most SVT users only have a single SVT cab, that doesn't makes sense if the cabs handle less power than the head puts out.

Given Loud's production woes with Ampeg, I find it highly unlikely that they will introduce many new products for awhile. The SVT Micro stack is far from a serious offering.

This is a myth. It's a common myth, but a myth nonetheless.

3. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    That's good to know. The book says that Ampeg used to strongly suggest to people that they buy two cabs so they don't blow the speakers but went to higher rated speakers because nobody bought two cabs. I always felt that was kind of silly. Glad to get silliness confirmation ;)

4. That info, and a lot more like it, are some of the reasons I'm not fond of that book. To say there were "liberties" taken with some of the facts puts it mildly.

5. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    I found it an entertaining read, but the tech talk sections went over my head in a lot of places. I know just enough about amps to change tubes and keep from electrocuting myself.

So nobody's heard the Eden-loaded SVT cabs? OK then, has anyone ever stacked two Eden 4x10's under an SVT? No? OK, does anyone have Billy Sheehan's phone number? ;)

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    why not just get one of these:

[​IMG]

7. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    If there were one around here, I'd try it out. But there's not. I'm not really in the market. I just wanted to see how they would compare to the CTS's in my cab.