Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Comparing the Fafner to the HD650

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jerry J, Jan 8, 2003.

1. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I understand that EBS has discontinued the Fafner and replacing it with the HD650.:confused:

I've also heard that the HD650 is using the HD350's preamp.

Has anyone actually compared these two amps?Any impressions? Any preferences?

2. I've made a side-by-side comparison and I genuinely prefer the Fafner. The HD650 is just too trebly when set flat, and the overdrive isn't as smooth as the Fafner's.

However, if you're looking for a modernized Sheehan tone or something of that sort, the HD650 might be your ticket.

3. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I've got a Fafner coming:D

Most likely the big BROWN truck comes by at 10am tomorrow.

I'm thinking the same thing as what you said, Peter, but just haven't been able to put them next to each other and see what was happening.

So you found that they are voiced differently? Would you say that the Fafner is a bit more on the warmer side than the HD650?

4. Yep, the Fafner is much warmer-sounding than the HD650.

I would add that the Fafner is a vastly more straightforward amp--plug-and-play, essentially. The HD650 is obviously made for tweakers.

5. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    My kinda amp;)

I was just doing a reality check since I've not been able to put both amps side-by-side.

6. Starrchild

Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    Thanks for the side by side comparision Pete,
    i also wondered what was the diffenrence between the two......MAN i love my FAFNER.:D

JJ just wait until you plug you're F-Bass into that
    FAFNER....Nirvana City Baby.;)

7. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I can't believe that EBS discontinued the Fafner.

8. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Fafner came in second to my EA iAmp 600. I really liked it for tubiness and grit, but I decided that flat was what I wanted. Great amp though!

9. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I live in an area which seems completely devoid of anything cool related to bass. I think that it's the mindset that it better be 4 strings and a Fender pervades.

A used Fafner was in a local shop for 2-3 days before it got snapped up. I didn't get to play through it but the guy that was testing it out was playing a bass that I had tried and thought that it was a tone-dud. Man, that Fafner made that bass come alive. There are few amps that stick in my mind, tonally like that one has.

I would like to get a chance to dink around with an iAmp 600 but there's not an EA dealer around the Pacific Northwest.

I'm real sure that the Fafner is going to be killer. But what do I know anyway.

10. TRU

TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    You can always order Fafner from europe. They are still making it, it is just not exported to US.

I thought HD 650 would be easier to get a good sound to start with, just push in the 'character' switch that cuts mids and boosts lows and highs.

11. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    That's interesting information, TRU. I wonder if EBS discontinued importing the Fafner to the US so as not to compete with the HD650?

But if us folks here in the US order the Fafner through a dealer in Europe then I would imagine the costs would put it up where the Glockenklang and Hevos gear costs.

Just out of curiosity, TRU, would you say that the EBS gear is mid-line gear opposed to the Glockenklang and Hevos gear?

12. TRU

TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    I wouldn't say EBS is mid-line, they are excellent stuff, especially the Fafner. Glockenklang does have better quality components like pots and switches, but that doesn't make them (amps, cabs are another case) sound much better, I think. I haven't tried Hevos.

13. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    The Glockenklang gear doesn't have a very big presence here in the US because of the cost and lack of distribution. So there's almost no opportunity to try it out. But it's reputation seems to be very good.

I just received the Fafner and when I shook the amp I noticed something was loose. I opened it up and found that the transformer was loose. I tightened it up and it looks good to go. Other than that it appears that it's built well. Although if that transformer had come completely loose it would have trashed some stuff.

I won't be able to plug into the amp until this afternoon. But I'm really looking forward to it. :D

14. TRU

TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    Is it new or used? It's these small details that make me thank myself for trading my Fafner for a Glock. :)
    Hope you'll enjoy it, I used to set it up with some overdrive and a slight bass boost...

15. zoran

zoran

May 10, 2002
    croatia
    I agree, I play through glock preamp, but I didn't notice big difference in sound according to its price. On the contrary, playing through gk amps (400rb) gave me similar feeling. Yes, glock is very quiet and components are great, but cost twice than so-called mid-class amps (europe) and 3x (in USA) is too much.

16. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Side note...those were the last two amps in my list of choices, too!;) I just chose differently.

17. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    The Jerzy Drozd basses I was playing (about 6 of 'em in all), I played through my Fafner and through 2 different Glockenklang amps with Glock and Accugroove cabs. I was surprised that Glock and EBS have some similar tone (or lack of tone) characteristics. After hearing 'em both, I've come to believe that EBS is more hi-fi than I originally thought...add that drive component.

18. Flanker

Flanker

Feb 12, 2002
    UK
    RAM

Which Accugroove cabs did you try with the Fafner and what did you think of them?

I have a EBS TD650, it's a great amp and I'm just considering options for cabinets to go with it.