1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Comparing the Squire Mod. J fretless to Fender standard Jazz fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Old P Bass Guy, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Old P Bass Guy

Old P Bass Guy

Nov 26, 2017
    Arizona
    Sweetwater has a nice feature on their website that allows you to compare the specs of multiple products to each other. I did a compare between two fretless basses, the Squire Modified Jazz base and the Fender Standard Jazz bass. The only tangable differences I see are:
    Agathis vs Alder
    Urethane vs Polyester gloss
    C vs modern C
    The strings guage
    $299 vs $625

I gather that the $325 differences are intangible and subjective. Please correct me if I'm off base.

PS what are the differences between the C and modern C?

2. I have owned a bunch of the Squier VMs and a couple Fender Standards and in my opinion some of the Squiers were better than either of the Fenders and none were significantly worse, plus I think they look cooler. I would not hesitate to buy another Squier VM, in fact just yesterday I bought a used one for a friend and he is in love with it.

I believe the "modern C" is thinner front-to-back than the traditional C.

3. Old P Bass Guy

Old P Bass Guy

Nov 26, 2017
    Arizona
    Thanks I appreciate your comments. I have a fretted Squire Jazz that has that thinner neck depth so I imagine that the necks are the same even though Sweetwater says the Squire is the regular C. I happen to like the Regular C on my 66 P