Comparing Valenti & Sadowsky Basses. Similar tone?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by millsbass5, Aug 13, 2013.

1. The title says it all. Does Nino Valenti offer the exact sameSadowsky pup/preamp option as Sadowsky? After all, I think that's a big key to Roger's tone from his basses, as I own one of the old clip-on preamps of his.

2. Shovelbone

Shovelbone Gold Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Yonderville Georgia
    I do believe that the Sadowsky pup/preamp configuration is an option on all Valenti basses! My mouth waters just thinking about it actually! :D

3. BUT, do they sound similar. This ain't a knock on Nino, fgor sure. Just bein' a nosy mutha........

4. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007

Maybe the Metros would. Roger chambers his US line so there would be some difference there I assume.

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    My necks are graphite reinforced, Metro's aren't. I offer chambered bodies as an option.

GregC and stringtheory6 like this.
  6. datsaxguy

datsaxguy

Oct 28, 2008
    Maryland
    Can be Similar but Nino offers more variety

7. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    Ahh...I didn't realize Metros did not have graphite and you offered chambered bodies.

My point was with similar electronics they could sound similar but there are many factors going into each build. :)

8. MaddAnthony_59

MaddAnthony_59 Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Columbus, IN
    I Channel Surf During Commercials. (Drives my Wife CRAZY!!!)
    Similar, I'd say Yes;

Exact, probably not, but I'm LOVING my Valenti PJ with Sadowsky Pre/VTC...

9. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member In Memoriam

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Electronics aren't the only "mojo" in -any- bass.

I've had many of both brands now, and really, every single bass, everywhere, has it's own personalilty. Does the Sadowsky electronics package "have a certain tone?" Yup, certainly, compared to Fender for example. Do all Sadowskys sound exactly freakin' alike? Nope! And I've had ones that I didn't bond with, and, ones I've kept.

What type of wood, age, density, dryness of the wood......Hardware, how all the pieces fit together. There's a lot of variables there.

10. TBer Dirty Dave owns both a Sadowsky Metro and a Valenti with Sadowsky electronics. He told me that the Valenti sounds exactly like the Sadowsky.

11. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member In Memoriam

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    So do I....
    I have a Sadowsky rv5; and a same spec Valenti
    They sound as similar as two basses are going to...

12. stringtheory6

stringtheory6

Nov 20, 2008
    SoCal
    That's very good to know!
    On your Sadowsky installed pre, can a mid boost be added to get close to the Will Lee option?

13. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    This tread is a little old...

I currently do not offer chambered bodies and Sadowsky Metro necks are currently graphite reinforced.

14. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Not that I'm aware of.

15. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    I fell in lust with Sadowsky #4511, which I can no longer find in the Sadowsky archives.

My Valenti, which is #51, was built to mimic that bass. It originally had Sadowsky HC pickups and the Sadowsky preamp. I did later replace the pickups with Nordstrand NJ5 single coils as the original setup was a little bright. I still use the preamp because the VTC control is useful to make a modern bass sound more laid-back.

Right now that bass is my #1 for gigs, because the band I'm playing with wants the Incognito/Jamiroquai bass tone and it fits that bill perfectly. It's one of the lightest basses I have, too.

I have Pressurewounds on it now, they work very well.

mpoE5ghUXksvphejDwvESJH9qV4h8Yazkbn16TOHxesrWSWsfDekPp15yUTqHDJIQFpTo22z_zlar6cLCXA=w516-h688-no.jpg

Here's what it sounded like on a Soulive cover:

Here's how it records. Although this engineer seemed like one of those guys who had "P Bass" in his head and worked overtime to suck the tone out of my bass to make it sound like one. You can hear some of the character at about the 4:02 mark underneath the organ solo, though.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
    Mark Hughes, JLY and Nino Valenti like this.
  16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 25, 2021