Comparison Bass Clips (Fender, Musicman, SX)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TrooperFarva, Sep 17, 2006.

1. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    I've wanted to get some solid comparison clips for my 3 basses for a while now, so I finally sat down and did it today. I picked 3 clips from common-enough songs, 1 slap, 1 fingerstyle, and 1 chord-based. I posted them on my webspace, have at it.

Bass Clips

I might add a set for the SX with the tone all the way down some time, but not any time soon, I don't think.

Comments/suggestions are appreciated, but be sure to read the whole page first.

Edit: I just realized that the Sterling clip for ILS with Mid Cut and Bass Boost sounds, for lack of a better term, weird. I'm not sure why. It sounds fine in ProTools, but then when I bounce it down, it sounds like that. I just tried bouncing it down again, and got the same result. Anyone with any ideas as to what the problem there is, I appreciate your help. But I think the remainder of the clips are ok.

2. danis

danis

Jun 7, 2005
    Athens/Greece
    I really liked the J-retro sound.But all sounded good to me.Ok maybe except the slap in the SX.
    Thanks for the clips.:)

3. MarkMyWordsXx

MarkMyWordsXx

May 17, 2006
    dont take this the wrong way but have you been playing long?

4. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area

Don't take this wrong way, but what does that have to do with the clips? Jeesh.

Edit: Yeah, trooper, I liked all the samples too - it does give a good idea of the differences. Thanks!

5. Flag on the play. PERSONAL FOUL :spit:

6. DERECOLA

DERECOLA

Aug 21, 2006
    PA
    You just cant beat a Fender Jazz.

7. I liked the Sterling the best of them.

Then the Fender.

I'd like to hear you do a fretted SX some time for comparison.

P.S. This guy spent time to do something alot of people don't do, took alot of time out of his day to put together this post and he deserves your respect. Some people here like to complain, but then they don't even take the time to fill out their personal page and that takes alot less time than this took.

8. ScubaSteve

ScubaSteve

Jul 30, 2006
    Makes me want to order some nice pickups and a J-Retro for my MIM.

9. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Very interesting. Thanks for putting it up.

I like All the tones.

And, nice playing. Pay no attention to the other nonsense.

10. Very informative and useful. Thanks. Well done :)

11. Trooper,
    Thank's for taking the time to do the clips.
    I dug those Fender tones, and you can't go wrong with those Sterling's!

Bobbo 77"

12. brooklyn

brooklyn

Aug 10, 2005

In my opinion, you have created the most cardinal sin on this site and should be removed. Nobody should dare make fun of another musician regradless of their level of skill. Part of what I love about Talkbass is how everyone shares ideas and soundclips in a truly open forum.
    The reader can pass on it if he or she wishes, but you NEVER make fun of someone. You should be ashamed of yourself, and the moderators should give a stern warning.

13. jongor

jongor

Jan 11, 2003
    Maine
    The Jazz with the J-retro sounds great!

Full, meaty, fat...

14. Manol

Manol Too Sexy To Be Left Handed.

Oct 9, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Mate, the only time you should be insinuating something like that is if the person in question is ASKING for your opinion.

As far as I see it, this member has put up some really great soundclips that highlight differences people often want to know.

Pull your head in.

15. mobax

mobax

Dec 31, 2002
    New Baltimore, MI
    Please post some clips.

16. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    I was just gonna reply, but hey, good call.

There's a pretty big difference between playing, and recording. I can play those songs backwards and forewards really easily, but recording them, that's another matter. Plus I had a pretty off day that day. I just haven't re-recorded them because it'll take another few hours. But I got the Kern back from my friend, so I might have a round 2. We'll see.

I've been playing 2-3 years. But hey, maybe you just missed the disclaimer that I told everyone to read first, where I explained that the playing in the clips wasn't 'good'.

17. mobax

mobax

Dec 31, 2002
    New Baltimore, MI
    Your clips contributed to the site. I'm sure that there are TBers who will find them helpful. Comments like those made by MarkMyWordsXx contribute nothing. Remember: If you don't have something good to say about someone, make sure you can kick his a$$. :D

18. charic

charic

Apr 17, 2006
    Cambridge
    Wow cool thanks :D

Its pretty cool to just be able to listen like this, its been helpful too being only a beginner bassist (6 months) helped a fair bit. Well decided im not too keen on the MM sound. Dont know why, although im leaning in the direct of too smooth (does that make any sense?)

Cheers :D

19. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Sure it makes sense. You're going to see, as you get more time under your belt, that your tone desires will go through cycles - affected by the music you are playing, the projects you are involved in - and even, your mood of the day. :)

The ultimate is when you can have a few basses - that have different purposes - and pick the tone matching the song - or mood. :)

20. You shouldn't have to explain yourself. You did something that many people on this board appreciate. Many people ask for soundclips, and you delivered.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 1, 2021