Comparison:Bass POD or Bass V-AMP

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Thanosbtb405, Dec 23, 2003.

1. Bass V-AMP Modeling Preamp

11 vote(s)
  2. Bass POD Bass Amp Modeler

24 vote(s)
  1. Which one is better? Explain.
  2. Jackbass

Dec 19, 2003
    Paris (FRANCE)
    I think the answer exists in this forum.

I think V amp is niece, but it can t sound like a bass pod xt (and bass pod).
    Bass pod is a really professionnal instrument.
  3. It's kind of like the difference between an Armani suit and a JC Penney suit. From a distance, and to the uneducated observer, they look like fine suits. But when you really check out the details, it's very obvious which is the better crafted suit.

POD is Armani in this comparison.
  4. see:
    My friend had a POD for his guitar and that totally memorized me. But while I was buying my Bass a year ago I heard a guy saying that a V-AMP was better for basses.
    I had to ask masses.
  5. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I've just got to say that I don't like Behringer in general because of the way they do business.
  6. I really think they are both solid units. The POD is more for studio application, in my opinion.

Example: you go to any studio that runs a ProTools setup, and you'll most likely find a Bass POD there, and you'll hardly ever see a V amp.

That said, for live applications, they will both do everything they're supposed to do. I've heard some great tones come from the Behringer, and if you don't need all the other things the POD can do (like deep midi editing and modeling) then it's a good choice.
  7. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I've never heard a v amp. I think pods sound really bad. I would avoid both.
  8. V-amp beats the POD by far when it comes to price / performance. Maybe the POD sounds a little better, but keep in mind it's also twice the price of the V-amp. Personally i'm very satisfied with the V-amp ( just keep the compressor down.. it tends to add a little distortion ).
  9. The v-amp offers modeling and midi editing. The whole idea of it is to be a low priced pod ripoff. Does this mean it sounds worse? not to my ears. A lot of people I've seen complain about the v-amp or bass v-amp never spent the time reading their manuals to figure out how to program it. They plug it in, see the presets suck, twiddle around randomy and declare it's a cheap piece of junk. You have to spend a LOT of time with any kind of modeling gadget to make it sound good. Perhaps the POD is easier to program.

I don't think anyone will argue that the behringers are made better than the line 6 products but as far as sound, it's just a matter of opinion. You'll find plenty of people who will argue both ways.
  10. Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    Just because I'm cheap I wouldn't hesitate getting a V-Amp.

It's what, a third of the price of the POD? ;)
  11. Does anyone have both and can give the info?
  12. bassplyr4001

Nov 25, 2003
    I voted V-amp, since I use the Bass V-amp Pro as the preamp for my stage rig.
  13. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I can only say I enjoy my BVAP. I don't know much about the Pod other than it cost more than I was willing to spend.
  14. come on the vote is 6 to 7
    what would be the BADS for each?
  15. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I wish the LED's were some color other than red; some variation would have been nice...
  16. John Herzog

John Herzog

Jun 14, 2002
    Schertz, TX
    I voted for the POD, but I have the Pod XT and for me it beats the V-Amp hands down in sound quality. I'm not saying it's light years ahead, it just sounds better to me.

Here are the pros and cons I've noticed about each:

Bass V-Amp Pro
    • Pros
      1. Amp Models sound pretty good
      2. Multiple Output options
      3. Inclusion of Guitar Amp Models
      4. Stereo Operation
    • Cons
      1. Channel Switching Delay
      2. Ocassional popping sound when switching channels
      3. Requires two hands to change some settings
      4. Battery Operated Memory is notoriously unreliable
      5. Tuner performs poorly
      6. Very poor tracking on bass synths

Bass Pod XT (Standard Version)
    • Pros
      1. Sounds Great
      2. Multiple Effects can be used together
      3. 6 band parametric EQ
      4. LCD screen makes it easy to use
      5. USB connection
    • Cons
      1. No stereo operation
      2. Not enough outputs
      3. No input pad for active basses
      4. Lack of editor software

My biggest complaint about the V-Amp is the channel switching issue. With the pod it is outputs. There are two 1/4 balanced outs that can be used unbalanced as well. One of the out is for the modeled singal, the other for DI. I wish the DI one could be switched to modeled singal as well so I could drive an amp with one and feed the PA with the other. The DI output does contain the modeled singal, but only if you use it in bi-amp mode which is not what I want to do.

FYI - I picked up the POD (brand new) off of e-bay for about 360 including shipping.
  17. finally were gettin in depth

does any one dispute his claims?
  18. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    only on the BVAP:
    "Requires two hands to change some settings"
    V-amp Design software and/or MIDI controller FCB1010 makes programming easier.
    Of course, you may not want to carry a computer to a gig...

"Tuner performs poorly"
    Tuner work well if you:
    -crank bass's volume
    -roll off the treble
    -use neck pickup
  19. DanStanFreeman

Feb 23, 2004
  20. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA

My biggest complaint about the V-Amp is the channel switching issue.

I'll have to Agree with GS here, Although I have not used a Bass POD i have had the Bass V-AMP for a year and am ready to throw it out the window. it seems to have similar downfall as the PRO version. Again for me it is the channel switching issue that really bugs me....2 seconds is a long time when you are playing live

This isn't true with the Pro version. There's a delay, but I'd doubt if it even 1/2 sec.

and you need a quick switch between effects and don't even think about using bypass...its poor digital reproduction at it's worst (which is why i can't wait to get my boss gt-6b -true anolog bypass!) I did use it in some recordings and which it seems is the only situation where the amp models really shine but then again i was using guitar. to me it seems to take all the balls out of bass. The tuner is pathetic....I think it is a waste of time.
    The tuner for the Bass V-amp Pro is tricky, but once I learn to Turn the bass vol. up full, roll-off the treble and use the neck PU, its just as good as the other tuners I've used...

I have heard that the midi foot controller would improve the unit but when it costs three times what the unit costs itself whats the point?
    The Behringer FCB1010 MIDI Foot Controller cost about $129; The BVAP cost about $199....

The last beef is that it is a very noisy unit.
    One of my BVAPs is very noisy, the other is very quiet.

I've become a effect-less bass purist as a result. I'm voting POD i haven't used it but i have heard it in action. if you want a good amp modeler, it seems POD is the way to go