1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Comparison between Orange OBC115 to Ampeg svt210av x2?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by geoffzilla, Dec 28, 2011.

1. geoffzilla

geoffzilla

Oct 30, 2001
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification
    Does anyone have experience with both of these cabs?
    I've been playing out with the OBC115 for a while, and really like the sound/volume.
    Recently, I've been gigging at a club with a backlined Ampeg micro svt av and single svt210av. It reminds me how much I love the sound of those ampeg 810 cabs.
    Does anyone have experience with both the obc115 and a pair of svt210av's? I'm wondering if the output of the ampeg cabs would match the Orange.
    If it matters, my amp is an Aguilar AG500sc.
    Thanks guys.

2. I very much doubt the little 210AV would have the bottom end and volume of the OBC115, which is quite a damn nice 1x15!

3. geoffzilla

geoffzilla

Oct 30, 2001
    Nashville, TN
    Yeah, I really love the Orange. It's a great cab, especially considering the size. I just love the sound of those sealed 10s, and am excited about the idea of an easier load in/out. To be clear, I'm trying to compare the obc115 to a PAIR of svt210AVs

4. Ah, with a pair you'd get a fair amount of air pushed! Obviously more like a 4x10. I would imagine it would at that point give you more than the OBC115.

5. geoffzilla

geoffzilla

Oct 30, 2001
    Nashville, TN
    Just checking once more to see if there are any Tbers with experience on both cabs. Probably going to make the purchase this week, but nervous since I can't try before I buy. I will have to order the cabs, as GC doesn't have 2 in stock.

6. geoffzilla

geoffzilla

Oct 30, 2001
    Nashville, TN
    Ordered the cabs! Will make sure to share my experience in case someone else has a similar situation.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Sorry I couldn't help. No experience with the Orange. But I do love my 210av's. They're medium duty 210 cabs but doggone do they sound great, especially with two of them stacked vertically.

8. geoffzilla

geoffzilla

Oct 30, 2001
    Nashville, TN
    Thanks Jimmy. I enjoy reading your posts. I know I love those Ampegs, so it will boil down mostly to output.
    You might want to check out the Orange fifteen some time. A great vintage sound.
    I'm just trying to get away with an even more portable setup.

9. geoffzilla

geoffzilla

Oct 30, 2001
    Nashville, TN
    I'm just posting one more time for some closure, and in case this helps someone later:
    I've done a couple of gigs with the new cabs. One of them was in a familiar club with a familiar band.
    I still really like the Orange, but found the Ampegs better suited for my needs right now.
    Both are punchy with some "vintage character", but the pair of SVT 210AVs is less boomy with a more immediate upper mid range. the biggest advantage for me is that the Ampegs sound great when you're right up next to them. The orange sounds better if you give it at least five or ten feet to really develop.
    Since I never do shows without PA support, my amp is more for monitoring than sound reinforcement.

Hopefully this helps if anyone else is ever looking at making a similar purchase.

10. ale29

ale29

May 25, 2008
    Italy
    Reviving this thread...still got the cabs? Given the difference in tone, how a pair of 210AV compare to a single OBC in terms of mere output?

11. geoffzilla

geoffzilla

Oct 30, 2001
    Nashville, TN
    Output is comparable. I've played clubs and arenas with both with no issues. I think you'll be fine in any situation with a PA.