Comparison between the Smith Burner and a BSR-J5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jerry J, Dec 7, 2002.

1. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    There are no Smith dealer anywhere around the Portland area so I was hoping that I could get someone that is familier with the Burner and the BSR-J5.

I got to spend a few minutes with a Burner 5 and found it to be nice. The string spacing was just a bit too close and the B sounded a bit floppy which may just have been the strings. I also found it odd that the upper horn ended at the 15th fret which would make the lower registers moved out further.
  2. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I'm surprised, also, as there are a significant amount of Smith players on this board.

The only KS bass I've played has been the Burner and I was just wonder where the differences are.

Ken, I will try and give a call after the holidays.
  3. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I can tell you this; you cannot compare the burner series to the handmade Smith bases. I do not own a "j" series but have played them. They are very good sounding basses, very well made and I do not think you could go wrong with a Smith "j" if that is what you are in the market for.
  4. i haven't played a burner series bass since the early/mid 90's. if i remember correctly the neck felt quite nice (they were 4 string burners) and the bass sounded alot like a jazz - but easier to play if you can imagine that. the only other experiences i've had with smith basses are the high end models... which are awesome IMO. i would love to get a maple core and walnut top/back neck thru.
  5. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    cephase, a while back some guy was selling a 20th anniv. neck thru on ebay- it was i think the most beautiful Smith bass i have ever seen. the asking price was like $6k or something !:eek:
  6. :eek:

that's pricey. i think don't think i would spend 6k on a bass unless it was some sort of fully carved double bass.
  7. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I don't think I would ever spend 6k on a Smith anyhow. Not ditching Smith basses, but that is ridiculous.

The electronics and the feel of burners vs BSR come to mind first. The electronics are no comparison. I really didn't dig the burners too much, but they weren't bad. The feel of a real smith (any bsr up) is just so much better. I have no idea why the burner spacing is so close either.

The burners aren't a bad bass, but I would realy take a lakland skyline over one. However, the real smiths are just as good as anything out there, just depends on personal taste at that point. you can PM with any questions. I've had 3 or 4 'real' smiths and one burner.
  8. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    One of the charcoal quilt redwoods (a five string) was on Ebay in the fall of 2000. I stopped bidding at 3200, I think it sold for 3800. Beautiful bass. If a charcoal-quilt 6er were to pop up I'd be very tempted.