comparison on D'addario Slowwound (nickel) strings and DR Low-Rider (stainless steel)

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by kp_funk, Oct 8, 2004.

1. kp_funk

Jun 9, 2003
    I'm Just wondering if any one has or can compare D'addario Slowwound (nickel) strings and DR Low-Rider (stainless steel) with respect to preference, tone, feel sound, etc. I like a clean sound with lot's of dynamics. I found the DR Hi-beams an excellent string, but just a little too bright coming right out of the box. Can anyone give me some feed back?
  2. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Slowwounds (recently discontinued by D'Addario) are somewhat warmer and less bright on the top-end than Low-Riders. And IIRC, Low-Riders are a bit stiffer feeling and perhaps more slap-friendly. Both good strings, IMO. Slowwounds could be expected to be a bit easier on frets and might please a fingerstyle player whereas the Low-Riders are gonna be brighter and might be better for someone who funks it up with the thumb a lot. As always, try 'em both if possible and see what you think.
  3. kp_funk

Jun 9, 2003

I usually use the slowounds. It's the lo-riders I haven't tried yet. I know that the slowounds are discontinued. I have to switch to what I used before which were the Hi-beams. I love them, but I want something just a tad less bright. Do the Lo-riders at least feel like the DR Hi-beams? Or do slowounds feel more like that?