Comparison Shopping

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ZuluFunk, Jul 23, 2001.

1. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    I tried out a new Fender Bassman 400 the other day at Guitar Center outside Philly. It sounded great and had a nice variety of tones, held up the bottom, and corried through at higer volumes. It's 350w and costs ~$999.

I went to my local shop to see if he could make me a deal. The sales rep told me they don't carry Fender amps. He tried to push me toward an Ampeg Blue Diamond. I tried looking up the specs since I couldn't try it out at the time (they were closing up the shop). I think this thing only has 60/100w. He was insisting it would "blow the Fender away" since it's all tube. Anyway, it was going for $900.

Are these even comparable?

I'm looking for a combo that can push through a cab when needed. I thought about the Nemesis but they'd have to order it.
  2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The amp you were looking at is probably the B-15R, a "reissue" of the old B-15. First of all, $900 is CHEAP for one, perhaps it's been sitting on the floor too long and he needs to move it.

Overall it won't sound much like the Fender due to the tube circuitry and different speaker design. In terms of volume, it's a tough call. Despite the lower wattage, the Ampeg might be able to give the Fender a run for the money in terms of overall volume, especially if you don't need a squeaky clean tone. Unfortunately the only REAL way to tell if it'll cut the mustard is to take it out and play a gig with it.

The Ampeg can drive an extension cabinet, the Fender oddly enough cannot.