1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Comparison video clips of my ol' Fenders, Flats, rounds, fretted, fretless..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wateroftyne, Apr 24, 2009.

1. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    Great clips, and lovely uprightish tone.

I still prefer the sound of the '71 fretless to the TF, but in general I'm not a fan of the J bridge PUP soloed, but I imagine the two PUps blended gives a lot more cut in a mix.

2. Cheers, OD!

As soon as the J pup is blended in, it kills it for me. I'm strange like that. :)

3. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    Me, too, but I was trying to be polite!

I don't much like fretted PJs, either, maybe I'm just too accustomed to the pure J and P tones.

4. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    I can't believe this thread got such a small response!

Great playing, great sound, great feel, great gear! I love hearing the difference between the flats and rounds! I also dig hearing the difference between the original fretless board and the ebony replacement! HUGE difference... I would have never guessed the difference would be that dramatic.

Maybe this thread should be in strings. People would really benefit from hearing the flats vs. rounds.

Peace,
    Joe

5. Cheers, Joe! I might PM a mod and ask them to move it.

Incidentally, I've since got my own replacement neck for the '71 (the one in the vid was on loan). You can see it, along with my other basses & other clips here:

http://www.jollybeggars.co.uk/bass

6. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Man... your basses make me drool... exactly what I'm looking for (but can't afford). Burst, Torte, Precision, Maple or Rosewood... Oh man... GAS (and I haven't said that in a LONG time). I want...

And, you play those basses like they need to be played. You deserve them. I'll just keep on wishin'!

Peace & Music,
    Joe

7. Hi all

I've added a few more clips, and put them all in one place here.

I hope it's useful to someone... clearly it's not intended about chops or scientific comparisons - it's more a general overview of the differences.

8. TheDialog

TheDialog Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2008
    Baltimore
    If anyone is interested, I use a less treble sounding tone with my same, all original '71. More attack, more full bass, midrange tone. There are clips you can check out on our new Free EP that you can download at www.myspace.com/thedialogueband.

Cheers!