Comparison!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Electric Al, Oct 2, 2016.

1. I'm thinking of purchasing a short scale bass , I played one recently , and I liked it !

What are the Advantages/Disadvantages ? Other than the Obvious ?

2. Tuning down Lower than D can get pretty hairy.

But the low string tension is a blessing for those who like to bend the hell out of their strings.

3. edsand

edsand

Jul 24, 2016
    Upper NY
    Weight sold me on one very recently, have had it only a couple months now.
    Scale allows some fresh, interesting fingerings. Fender Jaguar SS, $199. I've put some upgrades into it already.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1IiIApBp9SednFPUGVWcDlzVGc

I'm not as young as I used to be, and between this and the 2 GK Neodymium, class D combos, (112-MBP & MB-112 II ) I can go to a 400 watt gig carrying less than 75 pounds, all in one trip.

4. 2cooltoolz

2cooltoolz Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Lake Conroe, TX
    I had 1.

5. Short scale basses usually have less sustain but some of us look at that as a plus, they also usually have more bottom than a comparable long scale bass. There is now a decent amount of different strings for them, from very light to very heavy gauge, flatwound and round wound although the heavier gauges tend to be flats which sound great on them. The heavier gauges also tighten them up so you can get the same amount of tension on a short scale as on a long scale. Short scale basses are also obviously faster to play although for some of us that can also be a disadvantage;).

6. elgranluis

elgranluis

Feb 14, 2003
    Vail, CO
    I very much enjoyed my mustang bass (sold her maybe 8 years ago on the tb classifieds). The smaller scale feels like a guitar, you can pretty much dance around all over the stage with it. Ive also enjoyed eb3 basses a lot.

Come to think of it , im getting an itch for a squier nusicmaster lol

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021