Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Comparisons of basses, please!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lincoln Goertze, Apr 20, 2004.

1. Lincoln Goertze

Lincoln Goertze

Apr 20, 2004
    I have been playing bass for about 10 years, and I would now like to purchase a 5-string bass that I would never have to replace.

For a sound, I am mainly looking for a deep, rich, warm sound. An option for a bright sound is not really necessary. I am ready to spend $2000 Canadian if that's what it takes.

Here are the models I am looking at. Please chime in with any knowledge you have on any of these.

Peavey Cirrus Redwood 5.

Peavey Fury 5. (Will this one last as well as the Cirrus? Which one will sound warm and deep like I want it to?)

Fender American Deluxe Jazz 5. (My older brother has one of these, and while it is high quality, it doesn't fit my hands like my younger brother's Peavey Grind BXP.)

Tacoma Thunderchief 5 (This one I'm not so sure about. The climate changes from Washington to northern BC must be very great, and I don't want any wood cracking.)

That's just about it. Thank you in advance for your advice and opinions.

Lincoln Goertzen

2. i dont know that the fury compares to any of those basses, id take it off the list and add a millennium 5 usa... much much better and really versitile

3. vacman

vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    STINGRAY 5..... tight B and oh the funk is in the front seat thankyou. :bassist:
    Make sure the MM has an Ash body IMHO.

4. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    First, these aren't good basses for a comparison.

Cirrus - active electronics that can take you from a deep P tone all the way to the most clanky, bright tone ever and every thing inbetween. Great in and out of their price range. Good fell and balance.

Fury - isn't this like a 500-600 dollar bass, not a fair comparison against a 1800 dollar bass

Thunderchief- only acoustic bass in the comparison, I have heard that the B is pretty much inaudible unplugged, while acoustics have a greater chance to feedback while plugged in. Can't comment about construction or tone, I have heard both are some of the best in the acoustic bass world.

Fender - I have played two Fender 5's. I didn't care for the electronics in either nor the flabby B.

Some basses that I would consider if I had two grand and wanted a five string are:

Stringray 5 -tight B, good tone was hard to dial in for me
    Cirrus - Tight B, good tone and uncomplicated electronics
    Warwick Corvette Pro or Streamer - same as Cirrus
    Spector - I played a Rebop and loved it, so higher models must kill
    Modulus - used bass could fall into your price range, make sure to play one to tell whether you like the sound of graphite.
    Sadowsky Metro - heard great things
    Used Custom of some kind

Good luck

5. Lincoln Goertze

Lincoln Goertze

Apr 20, 2004
    Thank you all for your opinions.

I know these are all very different basses, but they are the ones I like. I just wanted some opinions of what you all liked or didn't like about some of these.

I believe I will spring for a Redwood Cirrus 5.

Thanks again.

Lincoln.

6. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    You will not be disappointed. I think I want to get a walnut 4 or 6 before to long.