Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Compas 180 compared to Anima

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by B. Graham, Mar 7, 2006.

1. B. Graham

B. Graham Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    Thanks to all for contributing to the various Velvet discussions. I'm learning a great deal.

I had Anima's for a while. I should have kept them on far longer based on what I'm reading. The E was awful with the bow I felt, but it seems from the threads that they improve over time. The volume was great, as was the pizz tone.

For those who have tried both, are the Compas 180's comparable in volume to the Anima's? What are your perceived differences in playability with the bow, and pizz sustain. The Compas 180's are touted as the "orchestra only" offering, but I've also seen product descriptions that state that they have a lot of sustain.

From you guys, whose opinions I take seriously and trust more than marketing: what's the truth?

2. 1780

Apr 21, 2006
    Did you not get any answers to your query regarding anima / 180s comparison?

3. B. Graham

B. Graham Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    Nope. Never did. I'd still like to try Compas 180's, but not without some more user info on them first. They are too expensive to go into completely blind.

4. pierre

pierre

Jun 3, 2005
    Médoc FRANCE
    Hello
    Sorry i've never try any Velvet, but I'd like to.
    Just to tell that the french dealer recommend me to choose the compas 180, because the diameter of the string is less -1.5mm and so easier to bow on the G string. He says the G string after the D is not easy to bow and have a particular sound nearer a real gut string with the sound of baroque or MIngus, Paul Chambers (with the bow). He don't talk of the difficulties to bow on the E string like you .
    hope it can help you.

5. Damn and blast it's that time of year agin when I think about new strings (yeah like every other week) Thought I'd revisit this thread.

Anyone put some real time into compass 180s?

As the original post asked has anyone found a volume difference between the compass 180s and animas?

How about fundamental tone?

6. Amin

Amin

Oct 22, 2004
    Italy
    Hello.
    I've never tried Animas.
    For what concerns Compas180suit -which can be tuned in solo or orchestra tuning and have lower tension than regular compas180- all I can say is that is a great string, and it can solve lots of problem in a double bass player's life.

They work fine for pizz, with a very acoustic sound, very good sustain (not a spirocore anyway..but absolutely a very good and smooth sustain), and work great for arco (warm sound and very easy to bow...!). They are very soft for your left hand.

Then , if you consider that you can tune them in solo and orchestra tuning, well, you have an incredibly versatile string.
    They sound great even when you tune them up.
    If you're looking for a warm, dark and soft sound, I would try them. Remember this is a low tension string. The sound is really interesting. I think they would work amazingly on an old instrument..
    People -me too- had troubles with breakages. But I have to say that Velvet customer service is amazing if you have some problem, they are there for help you. I broke an E, they sent me a replacement in 24hours.

Pay attention to the mounting instruction.

hope this helps..

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I've had animas on my bass now for nearly a year and they do seem to be improving! :)

8. Hey Amin

sounds like my ideal string:

"warm, dark and soft sound"

Arco sound is my priority.
    I'm using Jargars at the moment, but I would like something a bit more "chocolatey".

Of course my tank of a bass doesn't help, but I may well have to have a look at the compass 180 suit.

Just have to work out if the reduced tension will drive my bass enough.

Tom

9. If you ask Nuno A., he is the Velvet rep and he could help you with your questions. I know the Compas 180 (suit) are great for both pizz and bowing and i've been told they work well with jazz/pizz players. But, ask Nuno and he can inform you better.

TMWBassist

10. Amin

Amin

Oct 22, 2004
    Italy
    Hello..
    I would be curious to know something more about Jargars..
    Which kind of jargars are? Dolce?
    can you tell me something about them? I'm an arco player..

Sorry for being OT...

11. pipeman

pipeman

Mar 20, 2005
    brooklyn,n.y.
    i've had the 180 suit g string on for a while mixed with the weichs. i used the olive g string and the anima g string before that. the suit g string is a little bit thinner than the olive but it sounds and feels very similar, and it doesn't unravel in two days. even though the tension is set lower than the anima it "feels" like it has a bit more tension to me. better note definition than both the anima and the olive, and the bowing is much better than both. the windings are very smooth and the pizz has plenty of brightness and sustain. i play mostly pizz.
    i put the rest of the 180 suit set on yesterday. first thing i noticed was that my wolf tones went away. warm and complex sound on all of the strings. very happy with the whole set so far.
    i would recommend trying either a g and/or a d string first to see if you like them. if your someone that uses an olive d and g, or a gut d and g, and your looking for a clear and stable string that's easy to bow and soft on the fingers then you should definitely check out the 180 suit.
    i personally like the suit set more than the regular tension set.
    lou routen at lnrmusic.com sells the velvet single strings, and nuno at velvet customer service really does a great job..........

12. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
    pipeman can you comment on volume between the three?

13. Hi Amin,

I'll PM you a Jargar description so as not to de-rail this thread.

If anyone else is interested I'll copy and paste.

14. pipeman

pipeman

Mar 20, 2005
    brooklyn,n.y.
    i detect no loss in volume in comparison to the anima and the reg 180.
    i have not played a gig yet with the full set. next wednesday i will. played a gig with the anima d and g a couple of weeks ago and found it difficult to discern the pitches. we'll see how the suit hold up in a performance situation, but the regular 180s sound very clear and the suit is pretty much the same string but has a little bit lower tension and the string diameter is a tiny bit less. i measured it with my digital caliper. in my living room all three string types have a similar kind of sound. so far the suit seems to be the best "hybrid" string that i have played.........

15. dfp

dfp Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2004
    USA
    anyone have any more comments on this topic? diameters of the 180 Comas, reg. and suit?

thanks, all!