1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Compatability Question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Buddywolfe, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Buddywolfe

Buddywolfe

Jan 12, 2008
    The stock pickups on my JTB-134, were not very good, they didn't pickup low end very much. So, i bought some new pickups, DiMarzio Model P DP122 Replacement Pickup for Fender P Bass.
    The two questions i have are:
    1. SInce these are supposed to be in the staggered p-bass formation will they still work in neck/bridge possitions?
    2. Being a hollow-body all the electronics are sealed up inside. Can i just solder the old wires straight to the pickups?

thank you

Attached Files:

2. Buddywolfe

Buddywolfe

Jan 12, 2008
    Bump. Anyone?

3. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    The DiMarzio pickups wont work that way. You would have to rout the bass to install both of them, and then cover up the old hole.

What you should have gotten was some kind of "soapbar" shaped pickup.

The proper way to rewire a hollow body is to pull all the controls out of the F holes, or sometimes they leave an opening in one of the pickup cavities for that. It's not an Easy job. You could just wire the new pickups to the old wires, but it's not the right way to do it.

Either way the P bass pickup wont fit that bass and wont work as two pickups. It's too narrow.