Compensated Tailpiece?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by rablack, May 1, 2001.

1. rablack

Mar 9, 2000
    Houston, Texas
    So I visited the site sponsoring this forum. Anyone have any thoughts on what the perceived benefit of a compensated tailpiece would be? The adjustable model might make sense for wolf tone taming or for tuning the string between bridge and tailpiece to a usable note for some extended range experimental stuff. But I'm having a hard time understanding what other benefit it might have.

The site talks about "speaking length" of the string. I'm guessing the theory (for normal playing) is that you could tune in a harmonically appropriate length but what would that be? Lots of sympathetic vibrations would seem to make the bass speak unevenly. Would you instead tune the length to be "in between" notes of the scale? Anyone have any thoughts or experience with these things?
  2. Hi The five string tailpiece pictured belongs to me.
    It will be installed on my 1948 five string Kay by David Gage next week. When I get it back I'll let you know what I think.

I read some articles on compensasted tailpieces awhile back , when I find them I'll post the information.
  3. Check out the wolftone thread in the 2xbassist archive, under the tailpiece thread. There you'll find some interesting comments from Barrie Kolstein on the use of compensating tailpieces. Hope this helps. There is also an old thread on in this forum also.
    I know Gary Karr uses one. I'm hoping that it will open up the sound of my bass a bit. It actaully sounds very good already but why not try and get a litle more out of her.