Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

compete with a line 6

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Marzer, Jul 20, 2005.

1. Marzer

Marzer

Apr 26, 2005
  2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Ideal yes, but hard to come up with.

Definitely scope out an Avatar cab. Those are the lowest price cabs worth owning. Amp wise, you're looking at $300 alone for one loud enough to be heard in this situation. Sorry bud...

-Mike

3. Marzer

Marzer

Apr 26, 2005
    well lets assume its 112, im sure there are more options. It's hard without knowing what I'm working with, I suppose I'll ask my friend tommorow. Under 300 is ideal, but not neccessary (just nothing above 400)

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Hmmm.....I just don't see it happening. Maybe someone else can come along and suggest a rig for $300 to compete with the Line6. The 112 Line6 is only 75 watts, so it may work out.

You may have some luck with the Ampeg B100R, just as long as your guitar player doesn't crank his amp all the time. You can get one of those for $300 or so.

-Mike

5. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    Under $400? No deal there man. You'll need at least... $600 (still pushing it) to get something the volume, and still have a decent tone.

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Depends where you're located. You can pick up cabs on the cheap, and if you're lucky you can find a nice head to go with it. Believe me, I've found plenty of sweet deals but passed up because I haven't had room.

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Yeah, yeah, yeah. We all know about that Peavey you scored for something like $75. :D

-Mike

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    That's not even my best. But the best is a secret... for now.

Besides, it was $70. :)

9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Hoser!!!

Well, if your secret deal has anything to do with EA or Epifani, I'm making a trip to Madison, New Jersey with my baseball bat. :D

-Mike

10. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Nope, I know better than to buy anything that begins with an E.

11. Iruleonbass

Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    What about a fender rumble 100? thats 300 dollars, and 100w trough a 15" speaker. I dont know how loud it'll go. But it might be worth it.

12. pbass1

pbass1

Dec 8, 2004
    i gotta say get a behringer rig...

i have to say that because i think im the only person in the world that likes 'em

you get about 150 watts out of the bx300t head into one cab I.E. bb210

about 300 bucks i think if you only get one cab.

13. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Right now I use a peavey tnt 115 and play with 2 guitarists. One with a crate 120 watt 212 and the other with a line6 212. Cream em both I just have to EQ my stuff just right, and they're always like "DUDE THE BASS NEEDS TO BE MELLOW AND BELOW US" I usually have the pre gain around 4-5 and master volume at 4, I have my mids fairly cranked "Bassically my secret about cutting through" My highs are a little bit above flat and my lows are a we bit under my mids.

You can get a peavey tnt for around 450$ at music123.com and musiciansfriend.com

14. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Statistically it seems loud, but not in person. Speaker isn't what it needs to be for that.

15. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Quite possibly the best budget minded combo out there, but it's heavy as hell. Get a cart for it.

I play through one, and my Peavey stack is the same thing in a slightly more powerful variety. However, TNT combos can be picked up used for cheap. For about $200-300 you can get a used TNT with no worries (they're bulletproof)

16. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In

+100000 on the bullet proof I've gigged my tnt all over my town. I did a show at my school no mics and all's you could hear was me and my bass, that is unless you sat right infront of the guitar amps speakers.

another +1000000 for the cart, I have a big heavey duty dolly about 3-4 feet tall and i cart my tnt around on that, hard part is lifting it in and out of the car.

It also has a line out so if you go through the mains you wont need a direct box.

17. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Well, if you want to sound LIKE a line 6 guitar amp, you could just fart through a microphone. If you want to compete volume wise, you have got some good suggestions on this thread. Another vote for a used Peavey.

18. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Look used-check out the different bass stores online-generally there's a deal to be had. If your guitarist doesn't crank, you stand a chance under that budget-if he does.....good luck man.

I played for awhile w/a guitarist who had i think the same combo and if he wanted-he could totally cover up my Fender BassMan 200......so i went to a rack and got revenge. :)

That's all

19. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I finally got to try out a TNT the other day because a friend picked one up cheap used. While the tone was not to die for, it was decent, and the combo was plenty loud for most situations. It won't beat a Marshall 412, but it can do decently against a 212.

20. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I've used a TNT in tons of bands and practice situations. For $300 you will be very hard pressed to do better, even for the $450 they cost new you will have a hard time beating it for many styles of music. I've had mine up against two 412 marshal stacks and was able to still keep a decent tone and have a enough volume to get the job done even if every note wasn't singing over the guitars.