competing with mesa duel rec

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rusmannx, Dec 14, 2003.

1. rusmannx

Jul 16, 2001
    my guitarist in about to pick up a mesa boogie duel rectifier (unless he goes triple).
    how much power am i going to need to keep up. right now i'm inbetween amps and only have a little hartke 1-15 combo (140 watts).

what kind of power should i look into?
    what make or model?
    i've played through a GK700rb and loved it. will that be suffiecient?
    what about carvin?
    what being able to afford food afterwards?

thanks guys.
  2. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    My guitar player uses a Dual Rectifier (rectum frier:D )I'm using an Ampeg B4r with two Bag End 15's. I'd say a Gk 700rb should work fine. Just make sure you have enough speakers to push enough air. 2 15's or 410's and a 15 etc... btw that Boogie is an awsome sounding guitar amp.
  3. icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    usually you should have 4x the guitar(s) power.

Dual rectifier = 100 watts

You just need 400 watts.

2 guitarists = 200 watts, bass 800 watts.

My guiatrist has a Marshall mode four, 350 watts.
    and the other guitarist has a 100w fender,
    so I'm fu#@€ up ! :bawl:

This is just theorics.

My 300 watts combo always cuts through the mix!
    No ones plays at the max of his power.
  4. kmacleish

Nov 19, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    And another two cents' worth . . . .

How much power you need is more likely going to be controlled by your guitarist and your concern for your hearing.

If he is one of those that plays as loud as he feels like, regardless of other considerations, then you are in trouble. (Unless he's REALLY good, this should be reason to change guitarists - and maybe even then.) You will need major and expensive amplification to keep up with him, and if you do, you will BOTH be threatening your ears. There are some good threads here on that subject (hearing loss, that is), and I URGE you to read them. I only have some hearing loss, and I count myself lucky. There is absolutely no reason to play at high levels during rehearsal, and in performances the balance between instruments should be more important than how much sheer guitar blast your band can deliver.

No one wins volume wars.