Competition brings Gibsons!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SamWebsterbell, Feb 23, 2010.

1. Ok so currently i play a Fender Jazz bass (MIM), i love it!

My band has just won this competition, its sponsored by gibson and they give the winners 3 free gibson guitars. Two guitars and one bass to be precise. so which to choose from. Ive played on a Gibson SG standard and an Epiphone thunderbird, but dont know alot about Gisbon basses. i only want a four string.

in a few weeks i get to go to the gibson offices and try some guitars and pick which one i want, bla bla bla.

Oh and i love the look of the ripper bass but i tried to find one to play but no shops have them!

But until then i want to do some research. What are your experiences with different Gibson basses etc...

2. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    I played a Ripper a couple weeks back that was really nice. Not a fan of SGs or T-Birds though.

3. Les Paul Recording Bass FTW. ;)

4. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Inactive

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    What kind of music does your band play?

5. ive got an old SG bass (EB-0) and i love it. the reissues are nice too.

i havent played one of the new Rippers, bit ive played an old one and i loved it. If it were me, i'd go with the Ripper.

6. geeza

geeza

Mar 15, 2009
    Earth, but just barely.
    I'm not wearing pants
    Does Gibson still own/make Tobias? If so, I know what I would pick.

7. If you can get a Tobias out of them do it, but I doubt they'll let you.

Get a ripper or a grabber, if those aren't an option pick whatever you can sell for the most money.

8. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Gibson Thunderbird?

9. Like Punk/ Grunge Rock.
    Umm similar to nirvana and rage against the machine kinder combined, but without the rapping!

10. Do tobias basses only come in 5 string?

We only get to have them if we say we will use them at gigs, we dont have to use them all the time just for like a couple of songs etc.So selling aint an option just yet!

11. SoLongJake

SoLongJake Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2007
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Get them to give you one of those reissue grabbers they put out last year.

12. Craig_S

Craig_S Inactive

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    I'd get a Ripper II if it was my choice to make. Especially with a Grunge/Punk tone in mind.

13. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    THE MADDEST SCIENTIST
    I'm not sure how I'd feel about some of those Gibby's if you're referring to the band listed in your profile... That Jazz sounds pretty slick already. Make sure you pick a versatile one that's open to slap as well as it is to some beatings.

14. oh i intend to i love slap!

15. Nevitz

Nevitz

Feb 9, 2010
    Grabber II :)

16. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    No question whatsoever, the most versatile is the ripper II. Id get it. Its also the most expensive and in a limited run so if you do decide to sell it down the line it'll be your best choice.

17. Simo98

Simo98

Jun 18, 2009
    QLD, Australia
    Get a nice T-Bird :bassist:

At least they look cool :p

18. beggar98

beggar98

Jan 23, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    I love the SGs, but for your style I'd go Ripper or Grabber. Gibsons don't really lend themselves to slap very well...

19. bassman03

bassman03

May 19, 2008
    Sully, Iowa
    This.

20. Ripper II.
    Most expensive and one of the better Gibsons.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 25, 2021