Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

COMPETITION CMING UP!!!NEED HELP!!!!!

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by GreenDolphin232, Apr 13, 2004.

1. GreenDolphin232

GreenDolphin232

Apr 13, 2004
    I'm an eighth grader and I play Upright/Electric Bass in a middle school jazz ensemble.We recently got a top rating at jazz festival and we're one of the 10 best middle school jazz bands in florida. We're mostly a latin jazz kind of band (since our band is located in Miami) and we have a big competition in Atlanta next month in which we're gonna play "On Green Dolphin Street" "Besame Mucho" "Oye Como Va" and Duke Ellington's "In A Mellow Tone". Our teacher told us to go all out, try yo add some nice improv, rhtymic effects and stuff and I need advice on how to make some of my basslines sound more rhythmical, especially on In A Mellow Tone. :help:

2. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    Congratulations for playing well good music, and stay cool about competition: this is not tracks and fields.

About "being more rythmical on Mellow Tone": Be carefull not to rush ahead of the rythm section. I would rather concentrate on playing nice walking quarter notes making sure the walking lines span two bars. Just (try to) lock in with the drummer on quarter notes and be as melodious as possible with long walking lines.