1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Competitions in the NYC/New Jersey Area?

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by davidsbass, Aug 25, 2012.

1. davidsbass

davidsbass

Dec 5, 2010
    I'm a 17 year old bass student. One of my buddies is a guitarists who goes all over competing in jazz competitions. What can I do to get this kind of experience? There aren't many other jazzers around me. In fact my school doesn't even have a jazz band so at times I feel like a lone wolf. Most of my inspiration comes from listening to the music.

Still, I'd like a chance to compete. Anyone know of any events?

2. cat_saltnpepper

cat_saltnpepper

Aug 15, 2004
    Toronto
    there should be some but only one i'm aware of would be the one by Monk institute down in NO, and they change the instrument of the choice every year. well, you get great perks once you win though.

if you are looking for little more competitive environment, try to check out some of the jazz jam sessions in the city. some of them get pretty intense time to time and you get to see big name artists once in a while. of course, you have to be ready to get you aXX kicked though.

3. davidsbass

davidsbass

Dec 5, 2010
    Haha yeah man. How should I prepare for that? Should I be ready to call tunes, or should I be prepared to play tunes that will be called?

4. musicman5string

musicman5string Banned

Jan 17, 2006
    Where in NJ do you live? PM me.

5. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    if you live in the NY/NJ area id say there are alot of jazzers around you. some of the best in the world in fact. i would start by going to a jam session and just keeping your mouth shut and listen. dont play. just listen, at least until you see what a jam session is all about and what is expected of you.

6. BassMom88

BassMom88

Oct 17, 2011
    Maybe not competitions per se, but with a little research, especially in your area, you'll probably find a whole bunch of things that will challenge you.
    We're up in NH...no Jazz Band at school (which is too bad) but as a Freshman last year my daughter joined the chorus & plays bass for them too with a drummer, guitarist and pianist. She'll do the same this year with the Honor's choir. Not jazz, but she's happy just to play and they get to jam a lot.
    She also played bass in the pit for the school musical and made Jazz All-State. Google your state's chapter and see if you can audition...here, the school just has to be a member (no Jazz Band required) and a teacher has to be there...so her chorus teacher went and had a blast.
    Also...check out community groups/ensembles. We found a few of those around and that's been great experience as well.
    Even though you're older, Jazz House Kids may have some programs/resources to check out http://www.jazzhousekids.org and I know the Jazz Museum in Harlem has some great programming. Http://www.jmih.org
    Christian McBride is very involved with both!
    This summer we found 6 bass or jazz/improv-focused camps and 5 were less than an hour away...the last was actually in NYC...so just a quick 5 hour trip.... she studied with and met so many incredible musicians who helped her so much on both upright and electric.
    So it's out there for sure if you go after it and as the others have said, definitely go out and listen and have fun :)!!!

7. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    The International Soceity of Bassists will be holding a competition in June 2013.