Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Competitive Eating?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MJ5150, Aug 1, 2005.

1. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Being a devoted golf player and PGA Tour fan, I saw the words "US Open" on ESPN the other day as I scrolled by. Perhaps some US Open highlights I wondered????

NOPE! NOPE! NOPE! Apparently a group of disgusting people have decided that eating more than human amounts of food in five or six minutes is now a sport. They have called it "The International Federation of Competitive Eating" (IFOCE). The event was the US Open of Competitive Eating. They have people with nicknames. They even some Japanese lady who calls herself the Black Widow since she creeps up on men and "kills" them by eating way more. Her case is actually kind of sad since she plays into all the bad Japanese women stereotypes. Anyway, my morbid curiosity forced me to watch for 10 minutes. The announcers called it like a real sport that has been going on for 50 years. They interviewed these pigs as if they were really about to engage in some kind of sport. It was much more surreal than Figjams trip to get his drivers license. :D

I watched as people stuffed handfulls of chili-cheese fries into their mouth while gulping water and then watching it drip out of their mouth and down their chins. Totally dusgusting. I finally turned it when they introduced some old man who had the world record of eating something like 12.....yes, TWELVE pounds of SPAM in eight minutes.

Very, very sad. :(

-Mike

2. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Man...12 lbs of Spam? Imagine the turd that followed that.

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Wooppsss....I had it wrong. It was six pounds of SPAM in twelve minutes. The IFOCE has a website, and they even have "profiles" for their "athletes". Here is the world SPAM eating champion: Mr. SPAM

-Mike

4. adisu

adisu I admit it, I'm a "user"

Apr 8, 2005
    Israel
    SPORT!!!!! what's sport about it ???? why they call every insignificant competition a sport???? :mad:

IMHO this is a shame for ESPN to broadcast such a thing, this is more like fear factor or survival and should be broadcasted on a reality channel or channels alike but not on ESPN. :spit:

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I'm heading over to Sturgis in a couple weeks. Check out what I'll get treated to while I am there: Grilled Cheese Eating Contest. Yucko!!

-Mike

6. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    No doubt it still produced an impressive loaf.

7. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    uh... dude... walking is olympic event... your suprised that this is?

Soon drinking will be a sport too... how fast can you drink a pitcher... how much can you drink... oh wait they have that... i forgot...

"a man died in a Russian town of Volgodonsk after winning a vodka drinking competition. He drank three half litre bottles (Total: 1.5 Litres or 0.40 US Gallons) and died on the way home"

(PS numbers sound wrong because russian bottles are 750ml not 500ml so i asume he drank 2.25 litters)

:rolleyes:

8. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    You honestly had never heard of competitive eating until now?

it is kind of funny that the world champion is a skinny japanese dude, when you consider a lot of the runners up are just big lard asses that can't do much else other than eat.

I think the truly sad thing about it is that usually, after a contest, the winner ends up puking out most of the food they just ate. So, not only is it disgusting to watch, it's a waste of food too.

9. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    I thought about that and here is what i came up with...

Fat guy knows he has a big stomach and thinks if he doesn’t eat a lot before competition it will make him better... it does opposite... it shrinks his stomach...

Skinny guy has small stomach so he wants to expend it... so he eats more before the eating... and that helps him because it expends his stomach...

I think its just mentality and preparation... if a big guy did what the skinny guy did they would win but they cant because their stomach wont expend much more... not as much as skinny guys would... its basically to the limit and fat guy needs to keep it at limit while skinny guy expends it...

I might be wrong but that’s my assumption... either that or he has a black hole inside...

Cheers

10. doesn't seem less of a sport then golf.(come on man hitting a ball into a hole on a big grass field).

doesn't seem any less harder to do(you try eating 6lb's of spam in 12 minutes)

11. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    No doubt.

12. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    This is a disturbing picture.
    [​IMG]

In a country with an obesity epidemic, I'm surprised they promote an event like this.

Thanks Ronald!
    [​IMG]

13. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    And then some people complain about being fat :rollno:

14. spyingcracker

spyingcracker

May 27, 2004
    Actually, the fat guy's stomach can't expand as much because there's too much fat in his bellly. The skinny guy has none there, so there's nothing stopping the expansion of his stomach.

15. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    The most disgusting part is not fat people with food dribbling down their chin. The most disgusting part is not a 6 pound SPAM turd.

There are thousands of people on our planet who are *starving to death*! Contests like this are beyond disgusting, they are offensive and inhumane. How much do you think a 30 second spot on ESPN costs? If all of those advertisers put that money into famine relief, maybe somebody's baby would not die. Or I assume the food companies do it for publicity, the Oscar Mayer Hot Dog Wolfing Cup. How much better publicity and karma would Oscar Mayer get if they distributed those dogs to somebody who needed them?

16. Not nearly as much as putting a bunch of fatties stuffing their faces. Its gross and offensive, so that's why people tune in. Sure feeding hungry kids would be nice and all, but unless you can get them to fight over it or eat until they burst, it wont make good TV.

17. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    And people wonder why the rest of the world have such a negative view of America.

18. spyingcracker

spyingcracker

May 27, 2004
    We're not the only ones. Ever notice that the world champions are Japanese?

I'm not saying that they are worse than us, but I'm saying many countries do it also.

19. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    You poeple need to lighten up.

This belongs on ESPN more than frikkin' POKER, fer cryin' out loud. At least with competitive eating, there is a chance someone will explode during competition.

20. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Does anyone else hear the Hamburger thread echoing? :D