Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Compile Music

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by eVersi0n, Feb 12, 2003.

1. eVersi0n

eVersi0n

Dec 30, 2002
    Canada, Alberta
    How do you intergrate Bass lines into a song? I'v written Guitar before, but i usually just wrote the stuff then the drumemr came up with something, and the vocalists added the vocals, or I'd write music to vocals. But With bass, where does it come in? Should i put it in with the guitar rffs, or wait till the whole song is complete to add the bass? or write the bass first then compile around that? Which would be the best?

2. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I guess you mean 'compose' rather than 'compile' :)

As for which way is best - it's personal - whatever works for you. There's not one way of doing it, there's no 'should'. Without knowing anything about the song, it's difficult to say.

You'll probably find it helpful to get the chords sorted before you compose the bass line, but you can write the bass first and build the song around that (rather than chords) if you want. It's really up to you.

3. JazZ-A-LoT

JazZ-A-LoT

Jan 5, 2003
    First of all get a feel for the song and know what key it is in. Then close your eyes and imagine a bass line that grooves. I do this a lot, cause' often what you come up with in your head is just plain groovy compared to a theoretical approach. Dont get me wrong Theory has it's place a very big place, but try that. This technique wont work if you cant feel the song. Hope that helps. Bass-on

4. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Good point Jazz-a-lot. In my experience, most guys who come up with somethin that grooves in their head do so as a result of experience with theory and construction and they don't necessesarilly think "Hmm this in this key and my chord progression is this, I think this will fit". I think its much easier to come up with something that "grooves" once you have a solid background and know how everything meshes togather for that complete sound. I know I just made it way more complicated then need be, but oh well. :D

And as far as how you "should" do it, good "sir" moley over there is completely right-there is no "should". I Personally am more confortable laying it on the bassline, but you being a guitarist first and bassist second (or so it sounds) might be mroe comfortable strumming otu the chords or riffs and then building a bass line that holds the whole thing togather and gets your foot tappin'. Good luck man!