1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Compiling information on Paints/Finishes for a guide

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Simo98, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Simo98

Simo98

Jun 18, 2009
    QLD, Australia
    As someone relatively new to refinishing i have looked all over the place for a guide on paints/oils/sealers and haven't found much, just bits and pieces here and there and mixed opinions on everything.

I have a couple of questions about finishes, but i would also like people to discuss the Pros and Cons of different options, and also ask questions in this thread.

Ill see if i can get to work compiling a guide on different finishes, or at least a list of different chemicals and a brief snippet of information.

My question is would this http://www.khst.com.au/msds PDF new/R250,500 Laminating resin MSDS.pdf
    be good to finish a bass with? a clear coat or two sanded smooth over enamel paints?

Thanks guys, hopefully we can get some useful information together to help out noobs like me :D
    -Simon

2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    All you'll find on the internet is bits and pieces. Get the book-"Hand Applied Finishes" by Jeff Jewitt from Taunton Press. It'll answer many of your questions and make the whole finishing process easier to understand. You'll refer to it for years. There are other good books but this one is good for a beginner.

I wouldn't put that polyester resin over a painted surface. It's best used as a sealer, underneath the paint. It's also very tough when dry-much harder than the enamel. Also it'll adhere better to bare wood.If you have to put anything over the enamel, there are various varnishes and lacquers that are better.

Anyhow, get the book and you'll have a much better understanding of what will work and what won't.

Or, don't get the book and spend forever wandering the internet asking questions. :)

3. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    Polyester resins are very durable, but also very difficult to apply evenly, and bring to a smooth finish, thus why so few people in this industry use it. (Exception....Mike Pedulla on buzz FB's) You might want to try a small amount over any painted surface before making a decision, as Polyester tends to collapse and wrinkle many topcoat type finishes.

4. Simo98

Simo98

Jun 18, 2009
    QLD, Australia
    Yeah, ive used the stuff on other things before, was just wondering if anyone uses it for basses.

It tends to be a bit rought on paint.. and just about everything else. But once its set there is no dinging your axe :D