1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Complementary Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rmarsch, Mar 9, 2010.

1. Hi everyone,

I'm looking to invest in a bass to complement the 2009 Rickenbacker 4003 I have.

The Ric is the only giggable bass I have right now, and I'm looking to get another bass to complement it in my arsenal as well as allow me to send the Ric to the shop sometimes and still have something to play shows.

What I'm looking for:
    -Something quality, this isnt going to just be a backup
    -A 5 string bass or 4 string that downtunes well
    -Doesn't sound redundant to a Ric, hopefully contrasting a bit
    -Active pickups would be a draw too, but not necessary in recommendation

Its going to be used in predominantly rock applications, anywhere from grunge, to indie, to heavier stuff like math rock / doom / etc. Something that could stand up in a bands like Queens of the Stone Age, Mars Volta, Isis, Mogwai...

Thanks to all those who respond, I'm looking forward to really researching some good options. Price really isn't an issue, but I do like a good value whether it be at $800 or at $3000.

2. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I would recommend a Fender American P bass. Compliments a RIC very well and will allow you to cover a lot of ground.

I detune my P 2 full steps for a few tunes we do and it still sounds good. More importantly, the neck isn't affected.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    My complimentary bass to my '06 4003 is an '08 4004Cii. Similar, yes, but also quite different. Beefier, stronger. Also, downtunes like a champ. Mine wears the bottom 4 of a .125 gauge 5 string set, tuned D standard, (DGCF), but I've also had it down to BEAD without any issues. Sounds monstrous. AND, they look like the perfect pair.

4. kcole4001

kcole4001

Oct 7, 2009
    Nova Scotia
    For something different, the P is a good choice, but an even better choice in my opinion would be a P/J if you can get along with the wider neck.
    It's just that much clearer, but still has that pounding thump.

Or if you want real versatility, try a Bongo!
    From what their owners say they cover a lot of sonic ground.

And there is an '08 4004L at Pick of the Ricks priced reasonably, but would require minor mods to become a 5 string.

5. XXL

XXL calm seas dont make skilled sailors

Jun 14, 2007
    Florida
    Before I saw the other replies, I was going to suggest a Geddy Lee Jazz Sig. I have downtuned mine to D standard before with no harm, but any lower might be a problem..

But maybe an American P or P+J might compliment what you are after better.. Though you can get a Geddy for a pretty good price used.

6. ausf

ausf

Jun 24, 2008
    New York
    Classic StingRay.

7. ausf

ausf

Jun 24, 2008
    New York
    Actually, since you play a Ric, maybe the Sterling would be closer neckwise...The Ray may be too much to adjust to.

8. Engine207

Engine207 Losing faith in humanity...one call at a time.

Jul 10, 2008
    Higley, AZ
    If I had the loot, it'd be one of these:

US-DD-TGM-R-100-dpi.jpg

or one of these:

glaub_3.jpg

9. steveinohio

steveinohio

May 27, 2007
    Peavey T40.

10. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    I recommend a P Bass.

11. Mark_L

Mark_L

Oct 23, 2005
    Any 5 string Dingwall.

12. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    THE MADDEST SCIENTIST
    Strange... I was looking for a compliment to my Highway 1 Precision for the longest time and ordered a 4003 very, very recently. :p

13. Grissle

Grissle

May 17, 2009
    Another P bass vote here.

14. Scott McC

Scott McC

May 13, 2006
    Toronto
    Gotta agree with the P supporters. Between a Ric and a P, you can do almost every recorded popular music bass sound in history. Motorhead or Sonic Youth, Marvin or the Beatles, the list goes on. Get a P.

15. Thanks for the replies so far everyone. As for the P bass supporters, I know there are a bunch of companies that make P bass models, are most of you strictly referring to Fender P Bass or just the general style bass that some other manufacturers use and/or expand on?

16. adamrobertt

adamrobertt Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Kingston, New York
    I'd like one complimentary bass, please.

17. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

IMO, only Fender when it comes to a P (Maybe Lakland as a backup option).

I would say look at Sadowsky, Lull, AC, etc. if you were looking at a Jazz, but a passive American Fender P is IMO the cat's ass!

18. JohnnyB53

JohnnyB53

Nov 1, 2009
    A boltneck with humbuckers and active circuitry would make a nice contrast, especially with the types of music you play. I'm thinking a Warwick Corvette $$, Music Man Stingray HH, or G&L L-2000. Lots of versatility, but also lots of low end rumble available.

19. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    THE MADDEST SCIENTIST
    Mine is a standard P with a SPB-1 pickup I dropped in. OHMYLORD the tones it makes.

PS- It sounds phenomenal in the mix of my metal/hardcore band. On its own, meh. In the mix, DELICIOUS.

20. I own a Ric 4003 & it is my main bass,but as a backup bass I have a Peavey Cirrus BXP 4 string. The neck is nice and slim it looks good and it's active,have a look at the 5 string version and who knows you may save yourself a lot of money as well.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 24, 2020