1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Complete Chord Tone Exercise Part One - First Position

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Jloch86, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Jloch86

Jloch86

Aug 1, 2016

Attached Files:

bass12, NigelD and ba55i5t like this.
  2. ba55i5t

ba55i5t

May 24, 2006
    I like this very much. I had to look through the PDF to see the pattern you were doing here - ie. ascending chromatically for 4 bars to the 5th bar then in fourths for the next three then going chromatically from 8 bars ago.

Overall - very good exercise!

3. Jloch86

Jloch86

Aug 1, 2016
    Thanks. It took me a little while to come up with a short enough progression that both contains all 6 chord qualities and resolves nicely from bar to bar.

I'm glad you find it helpful :)

4. jchrisk1

jchrisk1

Nov 15, 2009
    Northern MI
    Would you please explain the chords as they are written on the chart. I don't know what + and o stand for.
    I like how musical you've made this exercise. It makes it easy to want to play it.

5. Jloch86

Jloch86

Aug 1, 2016
    The chords are being played by the piano and what I've illustrated are the bass notes that can be played under those chords. So if the piano is playing an Emaj7 chord (E G# B D#) what I'm playing underneath is every E G# B D# on the fretboard without having to move my hand. That's the point of the exercise, to not have to move your hand. (Unless you can already do that, in which case you can just use the backing track as an improvisation tool)

o7= diminished seventh chord (made up of the 1-b3-b5-bb7 scale degrees)

An example is Eo7. That means E diminished seventh. The chord tones of an Eo7 chord are E G Bb Db

+7 = augmented seventh chord (made up of the 1-3-#5-b7 scale degrees)

An example is G+7. That means G augmented seventh. The chord tones of a G+7 chord are G B D# F

Does that help?

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
  6. jchrisk1

jchrisk1

Nov 15, 2009
    Northern MI
    Yes, that helps a lot. Thank you. I haven't read music in 30 years, so I'm not so fast to pick up on how some of the not so common chords are spelled out anymore. I suppose I could have pieced it together, but haven't had a chance to look at it with my bass in hand.