1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Complete dunce : Help a fella out

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Panda Licker, Jun 13, 2005.

1. Right now I have my amp running with an 8 ohm cab. I know that if I add another 8ohm cab, my amp will be running at 4 ohms (supposing I put it parallel)

Now, what happens if I were to run a 4 ohm and an 8 ohm cab together? Would it work? Would it hurt my amp?

2. According to my knowledge of resistance, you'd be running 2.6666 ohms. I don't think that would work on a tube amp where you must choose your impedance. However, I couldn't tell you if it would work on a solid state amp.

3. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Actually, I don't know of a tube amp that couldn't handle that. It's the majority of SS amps, which can only go down to a 4-ohm load, that would have problems. Some, however, can handle it - look in the manual to see the minimum load for yours.

For two cabs (in parallel), your equation is R1xR2 / R1+R2. So, for your 8-ohm and 4-ohm, it's 8X4 / 8+4 = 32/12 = 2.66 ohms, just as jenderfazz said.

4. as said, it would be 2.67

with a solid state amp that could go down to a 2 ohm load, this would work fine

with a tube amp you just stick on the 2ohm switch, but i think it might wear things out quicker, and persoanlly i wouldnt do that, even if it doesnt do much damage. . .