Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"Complete Guide" ?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Sagaris, Feb 5, 2006.

1. No suggestions? I think I'll just assume this book would be a good buy.

2. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    That book may be fine, but I don't think you could call it a "Complete Guide". Seems like more of a dictionary of scales & chords.

Not quite sure where your skill level stands, but this may be of help.... and it's free (except for the printer ink and paper!)....

www.wheatdesign.com/bassbook

3. Ive been using BASS FRETBOARD BASICS. Its a decent book.
    I never come across a complete guide.

4. AspiringBassMan

AspiringBassMan

Dec 10, 2005
    UK
    i can only go by my own experience.....

for newbies, you can't go far wrong with this book:.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...66677/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_2_1/026-6651134-7122048
    it explains things in a clear way and covers many advanced topics too. i would say thats its among the best books out there for instruction up to an intermediate-advanced level.

for the absolute newbie to get started, this is a good book:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...66889/sr=1-5/ref=sr_1_2_5/026-6651134-7122048

i play a lot from a book called rock bass (below) because it gets you familiar with basslines and provides a very useful CD. the accompanying cd is split channel so that you can switch it to the left/(right) channel and it just plays the bassline only. switching to the other channel plays the accompanyment only. many accompanying CD's don't allow this so its sometimes VERY DIFFICULT to hear the bass line being played so that you can get it right:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...67300/sr=1-4/ref=sr_1_0_4/026-6651134-7122048

i bought this book some time ago. what its done more than anything else is FORCED me to get to know the fretboard better and to be able to equate a note on the score to the position on the fretboard. this is an essential skill.because it uses real music notation rathar than much less expressive tab notation, it has also enabled me to read real music notation a lot betetr:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...67475/sr=2-2/ref=sr_2_3_2/026-6651134-7122048

5. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
  6. MikeRS

MikeRS

Aug 16, 2005
    Clinton, MA

I've used that book and it's okay for a method book. I'd also recomend the Berklee practice book for bass, or any other books printed by music colleges, or if you could get copies of the same books they use at a conservatory.

7. weeding

weeding

May 17, 2005
    There a very good book called "The Bass Bible"

If you can pick that up it would be well worth it!

8. flatwoundfender

flatwoundfender

Feb 24, 2005
    The Evolving Bassist by Rufus Reid is one of the best books you can get, it has everything in there.
    Amazon Link
    You might be able to find it cheaper elsewhere, but I highly recommend this book.

9. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I don't think there is actually an ideal one complete book to bass playing. I have quite a few books, some worth more than others, but I would be hard put to it to pick just one that does it all. I think the reason is that one book alone can't devote enough detail to some important facets of bass playing, but instead just give a slight introduction.

Some of my favorites are:

Gary Willis-- Ultimate Ear Training for Bass and Guitar.

Mike Hiland--Mel Bay's Complete Guide to Blues Bass.

Ed Friedland--Building Walking Bass Lines

There are aslo numerous books specializing in funk, reggae, Afro-Cuban bass, rock, and jazz. Also there are books that specialize in techniques such as slap.

10. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    You can't be taught experience. That's why the term "complete guide" is too ambiguous for me.

11. Kurisu

Kurisu

Nov 19, 2003
    Saskatoon SK
    I'm with Boplicity (and like him I'm a confirmed bibliophile).

It took me awhile but I grew to love Di Bartolo's Serious Electric Bass, for scales and modes. This is particularly good for the "5 position system" that some folks are trying to sell as a brand new and innovative way to learn the bass. ;)

Levine's Jazz Theory book for the fundamentals of Jazz (even though it's still too advanced for me, I can see spending the rest of my life on it).

Gary Willis's Fingerboard Harmony for walking.

Wyatt & Shroeder's Harmony & Theory for the general theory.

But to tell the truth, I've learned the most from transcribing songs I like. I thought buying books would make me a better player. But no matter how many times I practice a scale, and no matter how many lessons I took, I never really felt like I could act as a bass player in a band. But now that I'm jamming with a guitarist and in a cover band and transcribing all these songs, I finally feel like I'm getting somewhere. So maybe you don't need a book, just listen and transcribe.

Just my two cents. :)