1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Complete list of all bass scales

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Gorn, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
  2. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    Wow nice bit of Work!

I expect everyone to have them all memorized by tomorrow!

Of course, I did download this nice reference...

===

Only this bass seems to be missing a couple of strings!

In that case all you need to do is learn ONE scale and then move it around to a new starting point.

http://www.mrk-inc.com/users/fjacoby/NString.pdf

3. OP - Did you do something to piss off Google? your link is now only a commercial for Google Drive.

4. exidor

exidor

Jul 10, 2011
    Detroit,MI
    Dam! thank you 3234718 !! link works fine.

5. bombpop14

bombpop14

Apr 10, 2010
    Irvine, California USA
    Endorsing Artist Ampeg Amps
    Muchas Gracias

6. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Sarcasm: Just ONE of the many services I offer! Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Palm Coast, FL
    Thank you!

Dan K.

7. nurnay

nurnay

Aug 21, 2010
    Chico, CA
    Sorry for my ignorance, but could somebody explain to me how to read (and play) these charts? I don't see what order the notes I'm supposed to play any one particular scale in.

8. onda'bass

onda'bass Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2010
    Buffalo Ny
    I guess this is nice, but who would learn all their scales this way? I always have stuff presented in "C" and transpose it myself....

9. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    This came from my boredom at work and a lot of copying and pasting, not my extensive knowledge of musical theory. I'm sure it's not the best way to learn scales, but now if i wanna play a Phrygian scale in c#, I can.

10. Cool! I just downloaded it. Thanks!

11. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    It's a diagram of the neck, not a list of notes.
    Only tells you what notes fall in the scale, not what order to play 'em. (apologies of that was a sarcastic comment)

+1
    Faster than memorization of all those charts is to know the notes on your neck + the underlying scale construction.
    Honestly, I am a big fan of learning scale construction by creating your own charts. That's how I really learned. Once you know how diatonic scales are constructed, you'll realize that most of those charts are iterations of the same musical pattern.

And I find charting the chromatic scale in 12 keys to be hilariously redundant.

12. Thanks dude! Looks great!

13. The dark notes are the roots. In the "C" scale, all the "C" notes on the fretboard is darkened. The root is the first note of the scale.

14. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    You're all very welcome. I just realized the Ionian and the major scale are the same thing and including the chromatic scale probably wasn't entirely necessary. Also 91 pages of scales isnt very user friendly. If someone more computer savvy than me could somehow create a clickable table of contents, I can send you the original word file that I converted to PDF.