Complete my bass culture, plz

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by NJXT, Apr 30, 2001.

1. NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    Embelisher's thread asking about essentials of a well known bassist gave the courage (thx Emb') to ask you guys some references from well known bassists that I haven't really heard :
    - Victor Wooten
    - Geddy Lee
    - Robert Trujillo
    - Jeff Berlin

If you could named 2 or 3 songs/pieces for each that would demonstrate the essence of their style, it would be great.
  2. Ok, I guess I'll go first at this one. Unless someones beats me to it anyway.

Victor Wooten is a bassist who mostly does solo work, but he's played with Bela Fleck and the Flecktones, and maybe others. He plays slap mostly, very bright tone, and in terms of playing skill, he's amazing, although, personally, I don't find him that great to listen to. Some of his songs would be:
    "Me and My Bass Guitar"
    "Sinister Minister", with Bela Fleck and the Flecktones
    "Classical Thump"

Geddy Lee is the singer and bassist for Rush. He plays fingerstyle, I wouldn't know how to desribe it more than that though. He's my god. I could go on about him, but I'm sure you'll hear plenty about him. As for some of his songs, I don't know where to begin. So I'll just list a few of his more well known ones:
    "My Favourite Headache" - solo
    "Closer To The Heart" - Rush
    "YYZ" - Rush
    "Freewill" - Rush

As for the other two, I think Jeff Berlin writes for Bass Player Magazine sometimes, and I've never heard of Robert Trujillo either.
  3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Trujillo used to play for Suicidal Tendencies and Infectious Grooves as far as I know.

Jeff did a lot of session, sideman and solo work, w/ Alan Holdsworth among others.
  4. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    For Geddy Lee I would listen to the following songs:

By-Tor and the Snow Dog
    LaVilla Strangiato
    Cinderella Man

Really any Rush song is impressive.

My first exposure to Jeff Berlin was to hear his version of Crossroads (the re-make of Cream's version of the Robert Johnson classic).

For Victor Wooten you can listen to about any Bela Fleck albums, or his solo work.
  5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Some input on Jeff, since I've been reading his since the 80's in "Guitar Player" and feel like I've almost grown up with him -

He has worked with Bill Bruford, Allan Holdsworth, Billy Cobham, Alice Cooper, Yes, has done many, many, sessions in L.A. and New York, designed the Peavey Palaedium Bass, has done Musician's Institute workshops, has clinics all over, and owns/runs the Players School in Florida.

To hear what a monster bassist he is, I suggest "Dixie", "Joe Frazier (Part II)" or "Stung, McCartneyed, and Bruced."
  6. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Rick- beat me to "Dixie"(& the other 2 tunes are happenin'; "Joe Frazier" is a bass the same league with Jaco's "Teen Town" & Stanley's "School Days").
    Since you go back to Berlin's Guitar Player magazine days, do you recall the transcription to JB's solo to "Water On The Brain, Part II"? I SAW the solo on paper & ran out & bought Holdsworth's Road Games that night to HEAR it...whew!
    I also like Berlin's playing on both of the Kazumi Watanbe albums(w/ Bruford)...Spice Of Life & Spice Of Life, Too; IMO, these are a couple recordings where Berlin sounds fretless on a fretted bass.

If you're gonna buy ONE Flecktones' album, check out Live Art.
  7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Jim - Unfortunately, I don't. But your knowledge of a wide array of music is so huge, as evidenced by your posts, I don't know how you keep it all straight.

I do have one handy where he facetiously addresses technique-heavy bassists who are making it "difficult for me...because they play so darn good," (e.g., Geddy, Stanley, Alphonso, Jaco, Chris, Jack, et al), and presents them with notation for a tune written entirely in 12-tone scales - no basic tonality, no general key center, blah blah. He calls it, "Kevin Dubrow Annual Hotel Garden Party (Quiet Riot Hyatt)."

I'll dig up some old issues from the early/mid-eighties I have around and see if it's in there. They're kind of fun to look at anyway to see the spandex clothes, ratted hair, bizzare guitar paint jobs and all this gear that seems to have disappeared without a trace, (e.g., Road, Tokai, Earth, Marlboro, Carlsboro, Arbor, Lothson,, Tusc, Hagan, Kramer, Hagstrom, etc.)
  8. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...believe me, I don't much; true story: K-8th grade, I'm an honor student; 9th-12th grades? My high school implemented a system that was supposed to prep youths for college, meaning if you didn't wanna go to class, you didn't have to go. Can you believe it? So, it's a relatively small Catholic school(700 in the student body)& it was easy hooking up with the other 4-5 guys that also played "Rock 'N' Roll" instruments...basically, all of us sat around & talked music, read Guitar Player mag, quizzed each other on theory, blahblah.
    Those were the "daze"...

Anyway, I still have most of my Guitar Players from back then(mid '70s-mid '80s)...Berlin did used to name his exercise/etudes in a humorous way; I'm gonna do some digging, too...there was one about "Roddy Piper" that was pretty cool.
  9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    For Jeff Berlin the early Bruford projects should be checked out in their entirety just to hear Jeff change gears. "Joe Frazier" never got the acclaim I thought it was due, easily on par with "Teen Town" (or better) though probably more "classical" leaning.

For Vic, "Sinister Minister" should do it;). The Yin Yang cd has Vic in full-tilt solo mode and playing in an old school group setting, too. Nice mix.

Geddy Lee-no comment, don't really get into Rush.
    Robert Trujillo-same;)

If you're not familiar with Gary Willis of Tribal Tech, you have to check him out. Gary plays with a fluidity and facility that most would kill for (hey, beats practicing;)). He also pumps some killer muted grooves.
  10. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

I concur on your opinions about Geddy. I really like Victor and i think he's very fun to listen. Aside from showing his technical skills, he cares about making music, very different to people like Yngwie Malmsteen, for instance. I recommend another tune from Victor: "More love". This reggae song is beautiful! :)
  11. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Robert Trujillo played for Suicidal Tendencies, Infectious Grooves and toured with Ozzie in some of the Ozzfests. He is a monster bassist. If memory serves me right, he customarily plays barefooted.

12. Oldsted,

I gotta know where you pulled your icon/image from, I'm gonna have a shirt made up!
  13. NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    Thx everyone for your answers.
  14. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Check out Lakland's website
  15. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    For Vic in more rockish enviroment, check out Vital Tech Tones's cds.