1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Complete my board (electronic/snyth pop band, but I also like to rock out)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BtaylorTheRogue, Nov 18, 2016.

1. Flanger

23.8%
  2. Reverb

4.8%
  3. Phaser

33.3%
  4. Tremelo

14.3%
  5. Buffer

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Volume

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Digitech Whammy

28.6%
  8. Other

14.3%
  9. You don't need another pedal

14.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. BtaylorTheRogue

BtaylorTheRogue

Nov 14, 2016
    I have 2 power slots left on my 1 Spot CS12. The other needs filling because I am just an overgrown child with a beard and a bank account.

Scratch my OCD. Fill my powerslot. Complete my board. What do you think I need?

Spot 1 is promised to a Boss DD-20 Giga Delay.

For spot 2, I'm tempted to get a Digitech bass whammy and either do some major reshuffling and ditch the cocked wah (leaving me in the same position I'm in now) or just put it next to the pedalboard. But I'm not sure. I mean, I'll get a whammy one day, maybe, but I don't know if there's a bigger priority so I figured I'd ask the gurus.

Whether I get a whammy or not, I'm also down to hear some recommendations for replacing that normal Crybaby wah that I use as an envelope filter.

There's a LOT of wah on that board between the Boss dynamic wah, the Crybaby classic, and the Bass Crybaby.

5035641_1838209439796111_5886598625898790912_n.?ig_cache_key=MTM4NjA3NDM3MDE2NjY2OTI2Mw%3D%3D.
    bass > Crybaby Wah > Boss Dynamic Wah > MXR87 Bass Compressor > Crybaby Bass Wah > EHX Deluxe Bass Big Muff > Aphex Bass Xciter > EHX Pitchfork > EHX Freeze > [Boss Giga Delay] > TC Corona Mini Chorus > TC Electronic Tuner > amp

I leave the compressor on all the time and have no idea if I need a buffer.
    My bass is active and super duper loud.
    The expression pedal is for the Pitchfork

2. Cuzzie

Cuzzie Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2016
    First thing I would do is put the tuner at the front of the chain so the note is pure and then the compressor at the end so that the modulated sound can then be evened out.

For a real synth type sound how about a source Audio Manta Bass Filter and link to an expression pedal or a hot hand

jaysbass2002 likes this.
  3. Get an ehx ring thing, you get ring modulator, pitchshifter like on a whammy, octave up and down and a very good tremolo. Oh and you get presets.

4. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    I'd personally be looking for different flavored fuzzes. Perhaps something that is gated or choked.
    First hand experience - the EQD Dirt Transmitter is a beast, works well with octavers, and already has a synth-esque tone by itself.

BtaylorTheRogue likes this.
  5. BtaylorTheRogue

BtaylorTheRogue

Nov 14, 2016
    Historically, I've always gone Comp > Tuner > all the other pedals. Pretty much everything I have plays nice volume-wise, and I like the subtle volume differences they bring post-comp.

As for why I have the tuner at the end, no idea. I've been thinking about pedal order all week, and I've been ignoring the tuner all week because it's just a tuner.

6. Cuzzie

Cuzzie Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2016
    Hey bro,

There is never a wrong or right way of doing things, it's whatever works, for me the tuner gets the purest signal at the start so you stay in tune, but then again you can use multiple tuners if you are going to split your signal to different amps and have them as mutes.

I have compression at both ends of the chain, not using them together but on and off at different points depending on what I want. I basically have a small board leading into a big board. The small board you see at bottom right of the picture tuner to LeBass and it's my grab and go, but I can link to the big one.

IMG_2861.JPG

7. skydivingninja

skydivingninja Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2016
    Raleigh, NC
    I've become a very big fan of phasers lately. They can help you with your funky basslines or make swooshy psychedelic grooves.

8. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

I'd suggest tuner first and compressor either last or at least downstream from any dynamics sensitive effects. I'd also put any fuzz or dirt towards the head of the chain to provide additional harmonic complexity and level to any filter and modulation effects that follow.

The Aphex Exciter I have mixed feelings about for live use. I've got one of those plus their competitor the BBE Maximizer. I like them in the studio or for recording. But I think they're basically too subtle when you're playing at stage volumes.

If you're into synthy I'd suggest getting a Malekko Sneak Attack VCA. Paired with time modulation effects, you can get some real Moog-like synth sounds. And also get 'reverse tape' style sounds if you're doing psychedelic rock.

9. Alien8

Alien8

Jan 29, 2014
    If you use the expression for the pitchfork, you don't need a Whammy. If you have a reason for both, then don't let me tell you otherwise.

Some great suggestions above already - Malekko Sneak Attack, Ring Thing etc.

Since you have a fully featured delay in the works you are set there.

Look into the Source Audio suggestion earlier and the SA Manta. You might be able to replace the wah and the boss filter easily with a manta. TheMXR filter is pretty cool too.

Maybe some more dirt flavours would be best. Source Audio Aftershock is a powerful beast to look at. Dirt is subjective, and it has a wide palette to experiment with.

10. BtaylorTheRogue

BtaylorTheRogue

Nov 14, 2016
    The only reason I would want a whammy and the pitchfork is because the whammy can deal with exact ranges. It's hard to, on a scale from root to +2 octaves, stop exactly at a tenth, for example.

Alien8 likes this.
  11. jefkritz

jefkritz

Oct 20, 2007
    iowa city, IA
    Awesome board!

Since you're asking for input, here goes:
    * I see you have a pitchfork already, and want a whammy, but I say you should get a pog / mini-pog!
    * Also, maybe a nice dirt box to play with your fuzz - I like my coopersonic dirtbox a lot :)
    * Finally, if you're thinking of dropping one of your wahs, maybe swap it out for a regular envelope filter - i heart my DOD FX25. sometimes, i even just use the filter part of my pog, without using the octave section.

12. Alien8

Alien8

Jan 29, 2014
    Ditch the Pitchfork, Crybaby & Boss Dynamic filter - keep the expression pedal.

Get a Source Audio Manta (use your expression pedal with it), get a Whammy, get a Source Audio Aftershock. You only live once, why wait? Lol :bassist:

13. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    I voted that you don't need another pedal. If this were my board, I would replace it with a smaller board, lose two of the wah effects and make sure that there is even space between each pedal (I have OCD). I would also, like many, put the tuner first in the chain.

14. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    I it was my board I would thin out some of those wahs and possibly even sell the boss AW-3 to upgrade for an EHX Riddler, I have both and I rarely use the AW-3 anymore. The EHX costs 2x or so as much if you get a good deal on it used but it is completely worth it. Sounds much better IMO and is incredibly versatile, I have the riddler which is the guitar version but it works great on bass too.

They also make the Enigma I think which is the bass version and I imagine has lower specific range, I play keys/ guitar too though and the riddler handles it all great.

Aside from that personally I think a decent analog flanger and or phaser would be the best additions. They are a ton of fun and can be used for a decent range of stuff.

If you look around ebay/ reverb you can probably find a really cool phase/ flanger at a reasonable price.

15. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    A few years ago I played with a dark synth pop group as well as occasionally fill in with a country/rock/top 40 cover band. My board consisted of a Source Audio MWBD, Digitech BSW, 105Q, EHX BBM, Tech 21 VTBass and a Line 6 M9 with an expression pedal. There really wasn't much I couldn't achieve with that set up.

16. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    New York
    Wooly mammoth (or a clone) and a low gain od like the barbershop. I'd ditch the crybaby wah. A ring mod and a phaser is a good idea imo. rock

17. Zane DeBord

Zane DeBord Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2014
    Brubeck Institute
    Ring mod!