1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Complete Newbie question...Apogee Duet 2 and GB Shuttle 9.0

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by cliffburtonfan, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Apologies for the complete newbie question but can I take an XLR from the DI out of my Genz Benz Shuttle 9.0 and plug it straight into the instrument input on the Apogee without wrecking either the head or the interface?? :bag:

Apologies again, just looking to use the sounds from my lovely Genz Benz as a pre-amp.

Cheers as always!

Edit: Just realised this is in the wrong forum, could someone be kind and move it to recording equip?

2. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    You will want to use the breakout cable (with the female XLR's) or breakout box and use the balanced mic inputs. Set the output level switch on the DI out to mic level. IF there's an option for line level input on the Duet 2, then you could switch the Shuttle to line level. It's suggested that you turn the phantom power off on the Duet 2 if that's an option, though it won't hurt the Shuttle, it may damage amps made by other manufacturers and want to be sure my advice is not mistaken.

Use the pre-post switch on the Shuttle to select the appropriate signal path. Post eq will give you eq and gain/tube flavor options that pre will not. Look at the block diagram in the owner's manual for more information.

3. I love talkbass. Thanks man, your advice is very much appreciated (especially when I seen what was written underneath your username!) :bassist:

4. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    You are most welcome.