1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Complete Newbie

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by SwingeyP, Mar 26, 2009.

1. SwingeyP

SwingeyP

Mar 14, 2008
    Hi all,

I have just purchased a Tascam 564 digital recorder with a view to recording some of our rehersals. I have a few 'novice' questions.

The idea is to record live in the rehersal room. I want to record bass, guitar, vocals, and drums all at the same time.

So i was thinking

lead vocals TRK1,
    Backing vocals TRK2
    Drums TRK3
    Bass TRK4
    Guitar TRK5

I think the 564 is an 8 trackrecorder if not i'll put just the lead vocals down and miss out the backing vocals.

So thats the idea.

How do you do this? - Just connect everything up to the 564 (di out of the amps) or how to connect everything? - if we just go straight in how do we hear what we play? - How do you get the amp sound? etc etc... How do you record the drums (not planning on seperate tracks for snare, cymbals, and kick at this stage) just one or two overhead mics. So this has to go through the PA and then connect somehow but how?

I know this sounds stupid but i have never done this before.

Any expert guru advice is welcomed.

Paul - www.gunnrunner.co.uk

2. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

Are you making a "documentation" recording, so you can hear generally how the band sounds? For example, to hear mistakes, arrangements, and overall rough levels? If so, just use a pair of mikes in the room. Experiment with their position till you get a decent balance. Typically, you'd place the mikes in an X-Y stereo arrangement. See http://homerecording.about.com/od/microphones101/ss/stereo_mics_2.htm.

If you want a fancier recording that you'll later mix to stereo, then you may need another mic and track for the kick drum. The overheads will handle snare, hat and cymbals: experiment with position for the overheads to get the best balance of the kit.

Don't use the PA if you can avoid it; that just adds more complexity to the problem, and perhaps more noise. You can often use floor monitors if you keep them as quiet as possible.

If possible, ask someone to teach you the basics of recording. Doing so will greatly speed up your learning.