Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

complete newbie

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by tye2k3, Jan 3, 2003.

1. tye2k3

tye2k3

Jan 3, 2003
    Hi, I'm a complete newbie to playing the bass. I have a 4 string and I know 4 chords but I don't even know what they are, if you could tell me this first it would be nice.
    5th fret 2nd string
    5th fret 3rd string
    7th fret 2nd string

I'm counting the strings from the bottom. Could you also give me more chords that go together, well I heard that theres chords that go together, correct me if I'm wrong. But I'd like to learn and memorize the chords and then go on to technique, I've heard about slaps and thigns, I'm trying to learn alone so its been difficult, and I'm just starting. What is the basic way to play, with your fingers or thumb, I find it easier with my thumb, but is this correct. So if you could help me with this for now, so I can learn some chords and then I can actually learn about different techniques, reading the music and other things. Thanks a bunch.

2. Hi there! Glad to see more new players !

I'm afraid I can't tell you about chord names.

Using your fingers and/or plectrum are the basic ways to way, and usualy what we would do is rotate between using our first & second fingers (or all 4!).

If you use a pick (plecturm) then up & down strokes hitting the stirngs lightly is the way to go.

You might want to look at these
    http://www.talkbass.com/html/modules.php?name=Search&topic=10

And I strongly suggest that you buy an "Absolute Beginners" bass book. These always have good diagrams for basic playing styles, and good instroduction to music theory!

Mel Bay's Bass Beginner book is what I'm going trhough, it's really good !

3. tye2k3

tye2k3

Jan 3, 2003
    Thanks both of you I'll take a look at the sites.

4. tye2k3

tye2k3

Jan 3, 2003
    I'm going to, I'm waiting until the summer because I'm going to hopefully play bass next semester which is in 2 weeks.

5. tye2k3

tye2k3

Jan 3, 2003
    OK, so would tell me if i'm on the right track, would these be right:
    5th fret 2nd string is g
    5th fret 3rd string is d
    7th fret 2nd string is a

6. just_a_poser

just_a_poser

Apr 20, 2002
    Yes.

7. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Notice anything about that? It's really important.

8. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    Hi tye2k3! Welcome to Talkbass. :)

My first suggestion to you is you may want to learn your way around the fingerboard and the note names. This can be accomplished by practicing scales up and down the fingerboard (and will also help you learn the scales at the same time).

As for chords...there are numerous chords to name and numerous types of chords: Major...Minor...Diminished...Augmented...etc...It would be very helpful to look around this forum for threads and look at books that have to do with chord theory.

A chord is formed from the notes of a scale. A major chord, for example, is based on the first, third, and fifth notes of the major scale. Hence, a C Major chord would be C E G. A minor chord is based on the first, flat third, and fifth notes of the major scale. So C Minor would be C Eb G.

The study of chords is never-ending. Memorizing them will become much easier once you learn the scales and how chords are built.

Hope this helps :)
    Stephanie