1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Complete Noob Needs Direction

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by RicoDirenzo, Oct 17, 2009.

1. RicoDirenzo

RicoDirenzo

Apr 3, 2009
    Chico, CA
    Sounds cosmic! Anywho, I have a completed guitar ready for assembly....all it needs is painting/finishing. I have no tools or experience (yes, I'm an idiot!).....I would like to paint the entire guitar in a single high gloss color and use an fabric cover for the body top. Best paints, sealers and lacquers? A basic set of reference materials would be nice.......after you stop laughing.......I, grasshopper, need a mentor!:eek::help:

2. Rocky McD

Rocky McD

Jun 28, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    Builder,mcdcustomguitars
    Tell me more about your fabric cover. Do you want it with or without a clear coat over it? If you are without spray equipment you will have to use Aerosol spray cans. The easiest to use are Acryllic lacquers, available in auto parts stores. They come in in a large assortment of colors. If your body and neck are now raw wood, you will need a sanding sealer to get the wood ready for color. One type I like is "Kilz Original", availble in box stores in the paint dept, also available in spray cans. One or two coats, sanded well after each coat, is usially sufficient, Allow the coats to dry for at least 24 -48 hours. Applying color is done in stages of 3 -5 coats if it will be clear coated and more coats if not clear coated. We can talk about final sanding and polishing when you get to that stage. Good luck.
    Rocky

3. RicoDirenzo

RicoDirenzo

Apr 3, 2009
    Chico, CA
    :hyper:I will be placing a clear coat over the fabric. Thank you! I'll post some pictures during the process. It is raw wood and all needs sealing.:bassist:

4. Rocky McD

Rocky McD

Jun 28, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    Builder,mcdcustomguitars
    How do you plan to handle the edge of the fabric? The transition from fabric to paint will be sort of abrupt and rough. Serveral coats of clear over the fabric is not a problem but I'm just thinking that some kind of varnish may be better over the fabric than the clear lacquer. Maybe someone esle has worked with this combination and can give you better advise.
    Rocky

5. RicoDirenzo

RicoDirenzo

Apr 3, 2009
    Chico, CA
    The idea came from here: http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/mat.htm
    But I have no idea what fillers and coatings he is talking about? Can you recommend glue for the fabric to wood and fillers/lacquers? Thanks!

6. Rocky McD

Rocky McD

Jun 28, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    Builder,mcdcustomguitars
    It looks like he used Titebond II, which is an excellant wood glue. I would keep the edges of the material only on the flat part of the body. Trying to roll the fabric over the round sides without wrinkles may be difficult. Also, I would experment on a seperate block of wood before trying it on your body.

7. praisegig

praisegig Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2008
    Stephenville, TX
  8. RicoDirenzo

RicoDirenzo

Apr 3, 2009
    Chico, CA