1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Complete Scales/Arpeggios Worksheet

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by lethifold, Apr 26, 2006.

1. lethifold

lethifold

Mar 19, 2005
    Some people may remember, but I posted a Microsoft Excel worksheet on here back in the summer, which generated scales and arpeggios

Well about 2 weeks ago I got around to redoing it and it's looking much better, it easier to understand and is a lot more versatile

I'm open to criticisms (so long as they are constructive) and (this time) I'll endevour to improve the spreadsheet as people suggest. Please give me your thoughts

You can find the spreadsheet at

http://essenceofcomedy.com/scales/Scales.xls

-Joe

2. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    UK
    on the fret diagrams, it might be useful to have some kind of bolder indication of the ones that are traditionally marked on a guitar/bass.. i.e. 3rd fret, 5th fret, 7th, 9th & Octave

I just think it could make the positions slightly easier to relate to ones fretboard at a glance

maybe do this by dots under the relevant fret or even change the thickness of the 'fret' lines...

I also think it would be useful to indicate more clearly the open strings.. at first glance it looks like the '0' position indicates the first fret as opposed to the open strings

3. tappingtrance

tappingtrance Cooke Harvey Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2005
    Yep just bold the line at 0 fret to make it look like the nut. great job.

4. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Maybe you could toggle showing the actual note names instead of b3, b6, b7, etc.

This is a cool spreadsheet you have here.

Also, in the interests of making life easier, you could combine the formulas in the displayed fretboard along with the formulas hidden in rows 35-40 like so:

(Here's the formula for E28, you could copy/paste down your fretboard)
    Code:
    =IF($B$29="Yes",HLOOKUP(E$25,$E$13:$AQ$19,2,FALSE),IF(HLOOKUP(E$25,$E$13:$AQ$19,2,FALSE)="R","R",IF(HLOOKUP(E$25,$E$13:$AQ$19,2,FALSE)="","","x")))
    That way you don't need multiple fretboards, unless that makes it easier for you.

5. lethifold

lethifold

Mar 19, 2005
    Thanks for all the feedback, when I get back home I will definately make those changes

and WillPlay4Food, when I first made it, I did have all of the formulas combined. However, the spreadsheet is something that I am always changing and until I "finalise" it and resolve not to make any more changes, it's easier to edit and update with multiple fretboards. Once I am settled on the final version, i will combine into the 'single cell' formulas that I had before :)

6. WillPlay4Food

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I hear ya man. :)

At this site there is an Excel spreadsheet that will generate MIDI output. If you're feeling adventurous you could try to merge your spreadsheet with this one and playback the different scales as well. That way your spreadsheet could work as an ear trainer as well.

7. lethifold

lethifold

Mar 19, 2005
    ^^ You legend!

That is the best damn idea ever (apart from the original spreadsheet idea and the idea I had of waxing my nuts)!

When I get home tonight I will definately see if I can incorporate it

Thanks buddy!

8. Kosko

Kosko

Dec 12, 2005
    Buffalo
    Superb work sir! Thank you, I greatly appreciate this, and its a cool app for Excel too! Seriously, superb.

9. Good work, Thanks for sharing !!

10. lethifold

lethifold

Mar 19, 2005
    Bad news WillPlay4Food, there's not much chance of being able to include the ear-trainer bit, it requires software that I don't have access to

If you have any other suggestions please let me know

11. WillPlay4Food

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Which software is that? If you scroll to the bottom of the page I linked to in my earlier post, there is a .zipped Excel spreadsheet that plays MIDI all by itself. I'm just curious because I thought it just used VBA in Excel.

12. lethifold

lethifold

Mar 19, 2005
    I tried both of those but I don't have the Visual Basic plugin :(

13. WillPlay4Food

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    You may need to do a complete install of Excel (select Run everything from hard drive). I just ran the spreadsheet on my work PC, which has no extraneous software (MS Office, Notes, WinZip and that's about it) and it ran fine. I would check your Excel install as the VB/VBA editor portion may not have been installed by default.

14. lethifold

lethifold

Mar 19, 2005
    I don't know if it's just me, but I've tried the spreadsheet on 3 different computers now and I keep on getting debug errors :(

15. DblG

DblG

Apr 27, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    I don't know if it's only temporary, but I just tried to download it and got a "Bandwidth Exceeded" message.:(

gg

16. WillPlay4Food

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Make sure you grabbed the right one. There are two spreadsheets, one is 16 bit, and one is 32 bit. The one built for Excel '97 is probably the one you want. Neither will work on a Mac version of Excel though.

17. ireidt

ireidt

Mar 6, 2005
    Florida
    gonna check this out when I get home, at school right now.