Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Complete Top or Show The Stringers?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Aug 6, 2003.

1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    This is the top for the fretless bass I'm having built.
    [​IMG]

I was wondering what you guys thought looked better; it as a solid top, or show the neck stringers. The neck will look pretty much like this (a different bass but the same buider and similar neck design).

[​IMG]

It's also going to have a lined ebony fingerboard. I've made a couple terrible MS Paint mockups of the two, but I won't post them if I don't have to ;) Whatcha think?

2. I would go for a complete top. It's a beautiful piece of wood!

3. Tim Barber

Tim Barber Commercial User

Apr 28, 2003
    Serenity Valley
    Owner: Barber Music
    Definitely the complete top. Nice wood! Is it maple?

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    It's a piece of curly fiddleback buckeye. Similar to buckeye burl, but from the log itself instead of the burl.

5. Las Olas

Las Olas

Apr 20, 2003
    Scarborough, UK
    On a sidenote, that top picture to me looks like a tree, possibly screaming in pain.

It's dramatic, certainly.

Regards

Mike

6. Definitely, a full top.

It's gonna be nice!!
    Jeff

7. Yep...i'd go the whole top too!

Cheers,

Craig :bassist:

8. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    I'll echo what everyone else has said - full top!

9. Me too! That's a stunning piece of wood--keep it whole.

Who's building the bass, by the way?

Mike

10. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Jon Hill of Hill Custom Guitars here in Cleveland.

11. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN

I think you should post them!!! :p :p :p

12. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I hate to string this out, but you must keep that hunk of wood in one piece!

13. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    I'll agree with everyone. The neck laminates can always be seen from the back, so there's no point in showing it in the front and wasting some good wood IMO.

and yah, show those paint mockups. I wanna see the skills of a fellow non-photoshopper.

14. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Well, you asked for it. Top with stringers:

[​IMG]

15. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Complete top.

16. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
  17. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I'd actually have the wood cut a little higher up so those little "eyes" don't get covered up by the fretboard like they are in those horrific mockups (I was trying to cut off the lines already drawn on of the JP bass).

18. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    If the neck laminates were more intricate I would say show them but since the neck will be fairly tame I say "Full Top."

19. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I'll get a pic of the actual neck blank up on Saturday. I had him arrange it as he saw fit out of wenge, paduak, and purpleheart, so I'm not sure of the pattern. Here's another way it might look:
    [​IMG]

We'll see....

I'm surprised everyone like the full top so much!

20. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Now that I've seen that gorgeous neck i would let it be seen.