Completed My Ultimate Blues Rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jon R, May 15, 2004.

1. FedEx rolled up the drive today and dropped off my second Aguilar GS112 cab. It's taken me almost 3 years to put all the pieces together (Mesa WalkAbout head, 2-GS112 cabs, and a 5 string Carvin fretless) but it has definately been worth it. For me, at least, this is as good as it gets. Great tone, BIG presence, and a nice warmth with a touch of grind.

I must say that the second GS112 brought my WalkAbout to life. I always thought it sounded great but it has much more presence and authority than the numbers would lead you to believe. With only 300 watts, it puts out like an amp twice its size.

With all of the questions, testing and, ultimately, purchacing, I must say Thank You to the following companies: Aguilar, Carvin, Mesa and Bass NorthWest. Their service and products are all top notch.

I should also be honest and fess-up... one company stuck it to me bad. They shall remain nameless, but they are a large mail order house who's initials are MF. Go figure.
  2. Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    Sounds very nice. :)

Have fun.
  3. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Congrats :bassist: What strings are you using on the Carvin?
  4. Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Flats. They're very bright for flat wounds, yet transmit no finger noise and don't wear the fretboard. The only problem with them is the price... $97.35 per set.
  5. Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Holy crap! And I thought DR Strings were expensive. :p
  6. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    You can get them for $67 plus shipping at, the supporters of the stings forum here at TB!

I am not asssociated with Bass Guitar Strings blah blah blah
  7. Thanks for the info on the strings, seanm. That's really a savings when you think about it.

I should also mention that I forgot to thank all the TBers that helped me in deciding which components to buy. I was torn between Trace Elliot, Eden and Mesa for heads; Aguilar, ACME, Bergantino and Epifani for cabs; and MIM Fender Jazz, Warwick Thumb and Carvin LB75PF for basses. While I may not have gone with what you'd choose, I did go with what sounded the best, and/or got me the most bang for the buck, and/or was readily available. Many of you at TB helped in my choices. Thanks.
  8. TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    cool set-up. congrats...hope you can keep the GAS under control for a bit! good luck! :D
  9. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
  10. WOW! That's exactly what I'm talking about... here at TB you get more good advise than you can shake a stick at.

Thanks Jock
  11. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Congrats Jon!!

Although I've never played the Walkabout through the Aggies, I have played through both components of your rig separately at different times.

I borrowed a friend's Walkabout head once and played it through my EA and Eden cabs. On other occassions, I sat-in with another friend's band and played through a Harke 3500 tube/SS head and two Aggie 12 cabs. I know that your combination of gear is going to sound great for your blues gigs! Enjoy! :hyper:
  12. You got that right :cool:

The tube warmth and grind of the WalkAbout matches perfectly with the depth and thump of the Aggies, and the fretless 5 string Carvin adds that silky smoothness... I dunno, but if I'm not mistaken, I may have just stumbled onto MY sound. :D
  13. I suppose that now I'm gonna have to learn to play. :D :eek:
  14. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    just curious... but why 2 1x12's and not 1 2x12? what difference does this have on the sound?
  15. I'm 52 years old. Years of abuse (too many motors, transmissions, and cases of paper) have taken there toll on my back. No single piece of my rig weighs over 40 lbs. If I'm just going to practice I only need to carry a single speaker. I don't believe that there is any appreciable difference in sound between 2 1x12's vs 1 2x12.
  16. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Isn't it amazing how easy the Aggie 112's are to carry!! I think back to my younger days humping a Ampeg 8X10 up and down the cellar stairs...... OUCH!!!!!
  17. No kidding. In my younger days I used to haul around a Peavey with 2 15's in it... come to think of it, maybe that's why my back is so bad :eek: