Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Completely absurd cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Nomadic Herder, Feb 22, 2002.

1. Has anyone ever made any speaker cabs that are completely ridiculous? Like a 4x18? Or an 8x15? Etc. I'm really wanting to build an 8x15 if I ever get the money and power plant to go along with it. :D I don't care how it would sound...it's 8 15s!

That would be so cool...but also about 100" tall and 50" wide. Now I need me a roadie with a REAL strong back!

2. why not a 16x10 ?

3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I know that Stanley Clarke had a 16x5" cabinet with a plexiglass dome. It looked pretty cool. I bet it had a pretty quick attack, too.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well...as long as you have the small army of roadies and the articulated lorry, to transport this kind of gear! ;)

5. I can't remember what 80s band it was, but the bassist (if I remember correctly) used an Ampeg 32x10.

HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I built a cabinet once that only had one speaker (a 15" or possibly an 18"), but it was a dual folded horn design that was almost five feet tall. We played a gig one weekend, and after the gig some of the guys had to carry it back into our basement rehearsal room. They were so pissed off that they cut in half and nailed the top back on! I was shocked and angry at the time, but it's pretty funny to look back on.

Jim Dombrowski

7. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    I've heard legend that back in the '70s, Cerwin Vega made some 1X30 cabs for use in a surroundsound scheme for a movie called "Earthquake."

Never actually seen one, but boy howdy, I'll bet they could move some air!

8. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Ampeg custom built a pair of 32-10" cabinets for Jeff Pilson of Dokken. Matching custom heads used one SVT preamp driving two SVT power stages, one head for each cab.

Bass Player ran a picture of this rig in an old issue.

Pilson later sold them to a Japanese collector.

9. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    That would be Jeff Pilson of Dokken. And, for the record, he had TWO of them. :eek: I think they were for the Monsters of Rock Tour.

10. Jeff Corallo

Jeff Corallo

May 30, 2000
    Why? Too much time or money on their hands?:confused:

11. Here's my version of the ridiculous cab. A 2-15 is no big deal, but what about a 2-15 combo?

[​IMG]

Chris

12. Cool .... in that case what about a 64x10 (J/K)

13. hey hey hey! i have a 2x15 cab!! no making fun!

14. Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Peavey make a 4X18 at one time ??

15. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    That looks like nausea, disorientation and major internal injuries waiting to happen. :eek:

Not that I don't like the sofa to shake when watching a disaster movie, but that is ridiculous... :)

16. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.

HEHEHEHE ---- Cool ---- nausea, We like nausea.:cool: :cool: :D

17. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Ampeg made a 2-15 version of the B-15 for a few years in the 60s. Still had the flip top and all, just twice as tall.

18. lesfleanut

lesfleanut Guest

Sep 25, 2001
    Syracuse N.Y.
    Where can we see pics of these 32x10's.

19. gmann

gmann

Mar 1, 2001
    Years ago I sent away to EV for plans to buid cabinets since I had 2 15 L's. Not only did plans come for the 15's but there were plans on building a cabinet for EV's 30" woofer! The weight of the cab and speaker were around 1000 lbs.