1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Completely confused about how this happened.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wnelson, Apr 22, 2009.

1. wnelson

wnelson

Aug 15, 2007
    dallas,tx
    I had a show last saturday and re-set up my rig last night at practice....i use a GK fusion 550 through an Eden 4x10 and a GK sbx 115''....awesome,i know:D......i also have a pedal board with loop,delay,chorus,overdrive,fuzz,volume pedal in that order from amp to bass

ok so i hooked everything back up and had a horrible hiss coming through...after doing my process of elimination of every patch cable,instrmt cable,and singling out every pedal...no luck....i bypassed my pedal board and ran straight bass...no hiss,so its gotta be the pedal board ,right?:eyebrow:

after swapping cables,surge protectors and everything else....still a hiss...it got better,but still pretty annoying.......my lead guitarist starts fiddling with my settings....which i keep my gain at about 10oclock...keep pretty much all the EQ at 12oclockish..( i dial most of my tone from the 3 band eq on my bass)...my master at 1oclock.....only pushing enough to cut through......and to make up for the loss of power being sucked from the pedal board

well i turn down the gain to about 9oclock...the master is at about 9oclock....but for some reason my sound is TWICE as loud as ever......no hiss,which is awesome.....but how is it possible to be almost twice as loud when i cut everything down..all the settings on the amp and bass are pretty much the same......everything sounds amazing......but im very paranoid now.....i cant explain it,so if anyone can give any insight on how this could be....im listening!!!....thanks guys

edit:
    come to think of it...i did swap out a bad monster cable that connected my amp to the pedal board.....it never crackled or popped until we were messing with it last night.....maybe because it was bad it was restricting power???.......ive only had the amp since september and nothings changed cable wise,but i think i remember that monster cable giving me crap in the past.

sound like a possible colpret?

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Hellz yes the Monster sounds like the culprit.

3. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Yes and you letting a GUITAR player touch your amp!!! Is nothing sacred? ;)

Glad you got it sorted.

Paul

4. wnelson

wnelson

Aug 15, 2007
    dallas,tx

i knew that was coming.:D..haha...my lead guitarist,however, is an electrical genius when it comes to amp/pedals/and cabs.....he taught me everything i know (known him for 19yrs) ...so after 45 minutes of wasted practice time....he stepped in to help and is the ONLY person i allow to do so.....i will defend this guy's honor and knowledge with a broadsword.....haha....i just got off the phone with him,and he didnt notice I changed the monster cable.....so we both agree that was probably the problem......

ahhhhhhhh, i can finally rest my head......in all the frustrationing last night ,i totally forgot that it was swapped out.....

and now i can enjoy to full power of my amp:hyper:
    which is killer!!!! if you hadnt had the pleasure of the fusion 550,I highly refer it.

thanks alot guys!!!