Completely Confused......

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Paul A, Feb 20, 2003.

1. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    One of my "sidelines" is fixing and servicing Amps.
    This week I had a Trace Elliot 250w Bass combo who's owner was complaing it was "distorting horribly".
    A quick check out proved it to be nothing more the a corroded output jack (on the back where the internal speakers connect) - Soon sorted with contact cleaner and gentle application of abrasive paper.
    Trying it out with my AM Standard P Bass it sounded AWFUL - The speakers were "Bottoming" out BADLY.
    Anyway, as a double check I plugged the P into my Ashdown combo (same cables) - sounded brilliant.
    I returned the Trace to it's owner who tried it out with his Stingray .... It sounded great! happy chappy.
    My question is WHY does it sound so awful with a P Bass?
    :confused: :confused: :confused:
  2. zoran

May 10, 2002
    I played Trace combo with P bass and after that with stingray. With P bass always sounded muddy, no bottom, no punch, no anything exept maybe soft, creamy tone. With stingray situation is better, much better, added some punch, but still lacking real bottom end. ON the contrary with warwick this amp souds better than anything I've heard . gives Trace tone that I always liked. Maybe it's true what people say: GK is made for stingrays, trace elliot for warwicks , ampeg for fender...
  3. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Couldn't have put it better.
    The P did sound muddy and what it was doing to the horn on the Trace..... well I just hope it did'nt damage it!
    I guess the moral is if you are in the market for an amp.. try it first!
  4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I've played a few Trace combos in practice rooms - not by choice!! - and they always sound like this to me - really bad! I just think of it as a "rock" sound - very coloured. But some people seem to love it!

My view is that I want an amp/cab that faithfully reproduces the sound of my bass - you know I searched long and hard to get a great-sounding bass, paid a fair amount of money for it and now want to hear it - not the sound that Trace Elliott want to give me!!
  5. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Hi Bruce,
    Yeah, I've heard quite a few people comment that Trace Elliot stuff "Sterilises" the sound (is that the right expression?) quite a bit.
    Surprisingly, it sounded pretty good with the Stingray for "funk" kind of stuff, lots of highs and mids, not much bottom end if you like that kind of thing (I don't, but that's just personal preferance,taste,whatever)
  6. 8_finger

8_finger Supporting Member

Jun 1, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    Couldn't agree more. In practice room I play on TE 4X10 SMX combo and with my Yamaha it sounded horrible, but with my Warwick it sounds great - not at all sterile or weak - it cuts through like a knife.

But it sounds even beter with my EBS preamp:)