Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Completely Ignorant Newbie Q's

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Chef, Jun 11, 2004.

1. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    So, my new KDB S/K is soon to be on it's way. And I have no idea how to:
    Transport it?
    Carry it?
    I ordered a bobelock bag, and I presume I can get it out of the crate and into the bag without hurting it. But Maybe Not! How do I pick this thing up? Do they travel best on their backs with a big-ole-pillow under the scroll/headstock or...? Help a completely ignorant a**hat get his new baby home:)

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Grab the bass by the scroll -- the fancy part at the end of the neck -- and put the other had about a third of the way toward the body on the neck. Carry it no higher than waist-height or you'll hurt it REAL bad if you drop it.

As for cartage, you're going to have to get a car with a sun roof.

3. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    :) Kidding, of course.

4. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    I'm not kidding:) I have no idea what I'm doing. I'm just a "slabhead." But, I am willing to learn, and excited about doing it.

5. Joe Taylor

Joe Taylor

Dec 20, 2001
    Tracy CA
    First you got to get your bass setup. They don't come ready to play.

as far as trasport lay it on it's back make sure that no weight is on the scroll or neck. put something under the top of back where the neck joins the body.

I can put my bass in my Honda Civic but I like putting in a Ford E150 better.

Start looking for a teacher NOW! It will save a lot of time relearning to do it right after you figure out how to do it wrong.

Joe

6. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Joe, I bought it from Steve Swan Guitars. Nice guy! While I've heard KDB's come pretty well set up out of the box, Steve is reported to be a pretty decent luthier, and he said it would come to me right. I'm on the teacher thing already, thanks...

7. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    Lifting:
    Be considerate of the neck joint. One hand on the neck, the other under the edge of the c-bout nearest you, lift and then bring to rest gently. Lifting by the neck alone, though commonly seen, is not the best play to make. If it's in the bag, use the handles.
    Good luck man.:)

8. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Since you bought a Slapking I'm guessing you're into the slap technique and Rockabilly.

If you haven't already been there check out
    www.rockabillybass.com

9. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Rick;
    Not necessarily rab style. It just seemed like the most instrument I could buy for the buck. Maybe not the best axe for all styles, but they come with a real decent setup outta the box, and for $1700, I got the tuner upgrade, guts, bridge and tailpiece and cable and endpin upgrade, pickup and preamp, all to my door. I play mostly r&b...i've been to the rab boards as well, thanks! I've been buying technique books, and shopping for a teacher as well...

10. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Yeah I nearly bought the SlapKing also. But at the last minute I found the Christopher I bought really really cheap.