Completely new to bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by klobb, May 29, 2001.

1. klobb

May 29, 2001
    I have decided I might start playing bass this summer to fulfill my boredom. But I do not know which bass or what to choose. I have never played an instrument before except the trumpet. I read that the Ibanez GSR's are good for beginners and I was thinking about getting one of those. Which GSR should I choose? The GSR100 or GSR200, the 200 is like $40 more, but I rather pay more now than end up getting another guitar later. Musician's Friend has this package with a GRS190 and amp,, should I look into that or just get an amp separately? If anyone has any other recommendations for a beginner's bass all suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks, Matt
  2. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Hi Matt, and welcome to TalkBass!
    Oh, you will get another one later regardless of which GSR model you buy. :) The GSR's are not the best basses in the world - in my opinion they aren't good at all, actually.

I HIGHLY recommend getting the best instrument you can afford, even if you're just a beginner - the better the bass, the more fun it is to play, the more you will want to play it, and so the more you will learn from it.

My "beginner's basses" of choice would be either a Mexican Fender (mostly called MIM = Made in Mexico around here) or one out of the Yamaha RBX or BB series. Considering their price, they are great instruments, and will hopefully last you a long while.

I generally frown upon both cheap Ibanez basses and such packages as the one you mentioned. But that's just me.
  3. If you don't have a lot of money to work with (don't worry, a lot of us didn't when we started) I'd say look for a used Fender MIM Jazz bass. Another to look at is the Squire P-bass special. They aren't that bad for the money. Look for a bass with two pickups, so you can expand more. I have to agree with Oysterman and say get the best bass you can buy.
  4. I have to agree with Oysterman. The new GSR's aren't that good. However, If you can find one thats second hand, the older ones were much better. They sounded much nicer and lasted longer apperently. The good thing about the GSR is that the neck is really thin, so you can wrap your fingers around it easily. Good for starting out. But, I think that it's probably best getting a cheap Fender. They are really good all round basses.
  5. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Yet another vote for a Fender. How 'bout one of them hot-dog Fender P-bass package dealies? Amp, cord, picks, strap and a bass, all for one low-low price. When you get a little cash saved up, you can upgrade your Fender with pickups, tuners, bridge, etc.
  6. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Hi there and welcome to talk bass. :) I agree with Oystar Man, about saving a little more and buying a better quality bass. Id recomend a Mexican made Fender Standard Jazz Bass. The tone is much better than that of the Ibanez. I think its deeper, fatter, warmer, and much fuller than the Ibanez. Fender also has a good resale value. That comes in handy when your ready to sell it and upgrade. Yamaha also makes one, it has an RBX series body with a p/j p/u configuration. Although it didnt have the tone I admire, the neck was very easy to play, and warm, mellow tone. But I'd still go with the Fender. Deluxe Active Jazz to be more specific.
  7. klobb

May 29, 2001
    Alright, thanks for the replies. I'll look into a Fender. I plan on playing punk music if anyone was wondering.
  8. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Yamaha also makes Attitude Plus -model which is a P-copy and would be nice for punk I think. You should be able to get you one of those for 250 bucks or so.

You can even have it in that ugly seafoam green finish which would be perfect for punk I think :D

(for pic and info, check out )
  9. Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    get what you can afford and what you're comfortable with. move to a better bass, if/when needed, as cash flow allows.
  10. Can´t miss with the MIM Jazz. I have it. Good looking and nice sound. Like the 2 pick-up setup over the single setup of the P, beacuse slapping is usually done high and picking usually low. (Yeah I know P´s come in 2 pick-up but its not the norm)

As for the Ibanez, my first bass was their Gio model which came in their Jumpstart package. I was satisfied with its sound, and of course having an amp, a video, and so on. If money is low, both Ibanez and Squier packages are OK.

But if you can get the MIM, cool.

11. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    to fulfill boredom you may want to look into all sorts of styles of music too. jazz, prog. rock, fusion, art rock, bach, stravinsky, blues, r&B (oh yea, jamerson motown), etc.
  12. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i too think you should get the jazz bass. they're SUCH good basses for the money. and you can upgrade them bit by bit as your skill and cashflow allow.

i don't think they make fender amp + bass packs (just squier) so you'd have to go shopping on your own. Peavey, Fender, Crate, Danelectro - all are good small beginner practice type amps.

13. what ever bass you get don't get the gsr 190. i've had the thing for 6 months and after playing every day for atleast 2 hours i've worn off half the laquer on the neck and the neck joint is so loose that i've resorted to using it as a whammy bar kinda, but my dad dosen't think i need a new bass.
  14. JimM

Jan 13, 2000
    Northern California
    Never sell your first bass.

sorry to disagree,cassanova :(

and don't give it away, I did :(
  15. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    even if it's a 3/4 size sears p bass copy?

sold that and the 10" 20watt T-power amp i got with it in 5th grade for 100 dollars in 8th grade.

kinda wish i had kept the amp, but that bass had been alive alot longer than it was designed to.

as for REAL basses, i'm going to keep every single one i get.

16. ToMMyGA15

Nov 27, 2000
    I've been playin bass for 4 years it's good to get the best gear possible so you can hear what you really sound like if you know what i mean. My first bass was a Yamaha RBX260 bass pretty goood bass good for punk, 2nd was Squier P- Bass and my 3rd my all time favorite bass The Gibson Thunder Bird bass it has the best sound that i have heard so i would go with the thunder bird any bass with humbucking pickups
  17. JimM

Jan 13, 2000
    Northern California
    Yeah,'fraid so Warwick5S.

My first was also a short neck,24/25 in.scale,can't remember.

When you're my age,it's fun to look back and laugh at the early days.I found an old bass just like my first one in a thrift store and bought kid shreaded it.the more absurd,the more fun to look back on.