Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Completely Shot Down

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Luke19Boarder, Dec 4, 2003.

1. So ... I'm a member of www.riffwar.com (and you should be too haha sorry) and I put up a recording I did of Amazing Grace (harmonic style) and Portrait of Tracy. Nobodyhas entered to go against me ... but sone guy just tore me apart.

Now ... I'm not claiming that my recording was perfect by any means, and I am open for constructive criticism, but this comment was a slap to the face. I thought I did a pretty decent job at least, but apparently it was aweful.

(If you want to check out the piece, go to www.riffwar.com bass version and I'm Luke19boarder and it's in the cover section. If you listen to it, tell me what you think ... do I really suck that much?)

Has anything like this ever happened to you? You think you did something at least decent, but then it turns out that people think it sucks?

Dammit, now I'm in a bad mood.

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    need to be registered member to view?

*disagrees*

can't you post it here?

3. Yeah ... I had to put it at a lot lower quality though, but it should still work (I hope).

4. I forgot that in this place you can upload larger files in the forums (where I usually talk at, it's like 100kb max)

5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I'd say, your harmonics are pretty strong for the most part, but the timing/phrasing, and what have you need a lot of work, and also it lacks that overwhelming sound that the original had, tonally it is pretty thin and some of the harmonics don't sound right either(note wise)

I would say it needs a lot of work, but it's a good start.

6. You didn't "butcher" it, but you could you use a little more harmony in there as already said it sounds a bit thin. Just work on the timing and you'll get it. Sounds like you already know it for the most part, just need to be more accurate.

7. I don't mean to be making excuses or anything ... but it's tricky to get the perfect fretless studio tone when recording on a fretted directly to a computer. And I don't know the entire song, and at the end I made it up a bit to how I kinda remember it ... and then I had to end it in my own way to keep hte tmie down. Oh well ... I haven't worked on that song a whole lot. Thanks for the advice.

8. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Well, I have read insulting criticisms of every bassplayer from Fieldy to Jason Newsted to Les Claypool to Flea to---dang---you name the bass player, someone has criticized their playing at some point... even mighty Vic Wooten. Heck I read a music critic who had seen him play at a recent venue in his tour who felt this virtuoso bassist had overplayed and tried to be too "virtuostic" (if there is such a word.)

If you stick your neck out, there is usually someone eager and willing to cut it off. But that doesn't mean don't stick your neck out. It takes courage to do so and it is an excellent learning experience.

Remember, too, that Internet parrticipants are invisible and anonymous. It is easy to be a jerk when you are unseen and don't have to be held accountable for your rudeness or your mean spiritedness. Maybe this guy is actually jealous that you can do more then he can.

Take what happened in stride. It sounds as if others here have positive and well meant advice for you. Learn from them. Don't give up. Remember jackasses have to bray. Looks like you ran into one. Forget it and move on.

9. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    You monster!

j/k You did not butcher it, or completely ruin it. WR's timing comment is true, but that guy on the other board has a stick up his a$$.

10. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    There was some mistakes but that is really good man. I couldn't play NEAR that good so don't let that guy bring you down.

11. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I think amazing grace was nice. You are pretty good with the time and the harmonics sound clear. I think the ticket to improving that would be to slow it down considerably and play it with more feeling. I know how hard Portrait of Tracy is but you have a great start. Keep practicing!