Complicated music theory

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Bushfire, Oct 26, 2005.

1. When I look at any resources on the net about music theory, they are all pretty basic stuff (you know, scales,triads,reading music,circle of fifths,intervals etc)

But I hear a lot more theory here than that, like constructing complex chords,harmonizing a piece of music (whatever that is),modes,tonality centres, dissonance (when something sounds 'wrong'?) consonance (the opposite?)

Is there any where on the net with the more complex stuff? Any suggestions?

2. pklima

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Schoenberg's "Harmonielehre" is worth reading if you already understand the basics. He tries to develop all rules based on the physical properties of sound and constantly insists that all rules are to be broken later when the student is more advanced. He is prone to philosophical digressions, though. Try a public or university library - my univeristy's library had a few copies even back when they didn't offer a music major.
  3. pklima

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    No, it's such an important book that it's been translated into many languages. The title of the English editions is usually "Harmonielehre", though. I'm not sure why.
  4. Schoenberg's book is definately a good one, helps you to understand why these rules exsist rather than just telling you what they are. I have a book that's called "theory of harmony," I don't know if its the same one...
  5. RhythmBassist01

Aug 31, 2005
    Heinrich Schenker worth a read too.
  6. Tom

Sep 7, 2005
    Davis, CA
    Harmony and Voice Leading (Aldwell/Schachter)
    Counterpoint in Composition (Salzer/Schachter)

The titles are pretty self-explanatory. Knowing your way around a keyboard may help you out. These books like to go into exhaustive detail and exercises are included. They're not "Music Theory for Dummies," to be sure!
  7. ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    Harmony and Theory has sorta what you're looking for. The 1st nine chapters are pretty much scales-triads-notes-time sigs. But after that it becomes more complext- harmonzing-constructing chords-modes ect. (hal leonard)
  8. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    I have the Schachter books. They're pretty intense and convoluted for a beginner.

I'd like to suggest George Wedge's Harmony books. They're simply titled "Harmony" and are divided in two volumes - diatonic and chromatic.
  9. Tom

Sep 7, 2005
    Davis, CA
    Quite true. You need to know a little bit of theory before diving in, but I guess I thought the original poster already had a start.
  10. how about elements of music volunmes 1 and 2 bu ralph turek, they start off pretty easy with basics but will give you more information than you could ever need, it goes into harmonizations, extensions of chords, 12 tone music, jsut about anything you can think, gives you practice drills and anylazations too. it's some good stuff, and hey if it's good enough for music school you should check it out man.
  11. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I have to check a couple of these out.
  12. Heh. somewhat, but I am a rock musician, so you may-have-to-talk-sloooowly....

I had a look at those ones that look at music as hz and get all philosphical, being a rock guy, I barely get enough chance to put traditional basic theory into practice. You could say this extra stuff is a hobby of a hobby...

13. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Being a rock guy, I think you don't necessarily need a classical theory book. You'd get on a lot better with a Jazz oriented book like Mark Levine's Jazz Theory book.

There's no need for a rock musician to know the difference between a German and an Italian 6 chord, imo.
  14. ptuckerbass

Sep 12, 2000
    Orlando, Fl.
    Try looking around this site:
    It's got a lot of great info on theory.
    One warning!
    DO NOT download any active X plug-ins if prompted!!
    I may have picked-up a virus when I downloaded "Sebelius Scorcher".
  15. Thanks, I'll look into that (the book, not the difference between a German and Italian 6 chord! :D)

The real trouble is I don't use a lot of the (basic) theory I know. It seems as if all I need to know is the maj/min 7th chord forms, and how to construct major/minor/pentatonic scales and that's it.
  16. djcruse

Jun 3, 2002
    Norwood, MA
    Whoever is playing bass with Yngwie every night might! :bassist: