Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Complicated oil finish to cover flaw.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by philthygeezer, Sep 16, 2004.

1. philthygeezer

philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    Got this unfinished body on the 'bay for a good price.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Nice funky maple top with bird's eye and flame. I'm going use Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil to finish it.

Questions:
    1. It's got a knot in the lower horn, so I need to find a way to finish this much darker than the top? Is there an easy way to do this under Tru-Oil? Will the Tru Oil make it hardly noticeable or make it stand out? Should I sand the grooves away and have a very slighty different contour on the lower heel?

[​IMG]

2. If I do try to make a darker finish around the back and sides, how do I make a nice sharp even line where the natural finish top meets the stain on the side?

Please comment on how to deal with the scar most easily and successfully as well. Thanks in advance for your advice!

2. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I imagine if you put tape around the body edges to keep the top seperated you could use a darker stain on the sides and just remove the tape and clearcoat the whole thing.

3. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Or you could try my new favorite finish.... the Woodburst:

[​IMG]

Looks fantastic in black too, I just couldn't find the image right off the bat. If you can track down someone who owns about 75 Brubakers, I know he's got a sweet black woodburst...

4. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    I think a spray finish is going to be the way to hide this knot. The oil will probably improve contrast. Any burst or fade finish could be applied with a dark/black/brown finish around the edges fading to amber or clearcoat at the center.

I'm not so sure you will be able to mask off penetrating stains. Try it on a test piece. They tend to seep in and bleed underneat the tape. This is why a spray finish is probably going to work much better - these finishes sit on top of the wood and thus you could conceivably mask the top and get your sharp line.

5. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    What is you stain the top, mask it, and paint the sides, then clearcoat it all?

6. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    If you can shoot, then you're all set in any number of ways since masking will work with most spray finishes. It just won't work with most penetrating dyes and stains.

7. rdhbass

rdhbass

Jun 28, 2003
    Springfield, mo
    Shoot, I'd simply cut the knot out with a dremel tool and fill it with my all famous mixture of superglue and natural wood filler. Sand it away and no knot.

8. philthygeezer

philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    Thanks guys!

I'm going to keep it simple and do an oil finish over the knot. It just adds character. :D