1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Complicated world of 10" speakers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SoPro, Oct 12, 2019.

1. SoPro

SoPro

Oct 12, 2019
    The bass-related part is at the end. I'm posting on a few forums, in hopes of advice.

I have a '65 Vox (Thomas Organ) Berkeley V8. For those unfamiliar with it, it's basically an AC15, but with reverb. For decades I've used it with a 2x12 cabinet w/ Vox/Oxford Gold Bulldog alnicos (from a Vox Buckingham) and loved the chime-y overdrive.

Over the last few years, I've collected enough Berkeley bits (heads, cabinets, trolleys, covers and footswitches) to create one damn gorgeous mid-60s shiny trapezoid-headed beauty. The only thing(s) I'm missing are the correct Vox/Celestion(UK) 7442 speakers. I have a pair 7424s from a solid state Berkeley, but they present 4ohms to the head, instead of 8 so I can’t use them.

I’ve also got a pair of Celestion G10 60Watt Vintage 10’s that came in one of the “parts amps” as well as a pair of NOS (from Thomas factory liquidation, I’m told) 10” Vox/Oxford Gold Bulldog alnicos as would have come with some Vox Pacemakers.

A lotta nice 10s, but all 8ohms and useless to me for that amp/cab. So...
    • Should I just keep using my 212 cab to play through and leave the 7424s in the Berk cab for eventual selling (even though they are wrong models)?
    • Or should I post everywhere online, looking to trade for correct 7442s? (Damn hard to find Vox versions!)
    • Or are any of what I have so great that I should get an impedance matching gizmo (e.g. Weber Z-Matcher) and see why some folks like 10s better than 12s?
    And just to overstay my welcome a few moments longer- my studio bass amp is an early 70s silverface Bassman 10, w/ 4 original 10" Oxford 32ohm spks. I want to keep using it for bass, but rumor has it that it makes a decent guitar amp, especially for pedals. Would some combo of my “wrong” Vox speakers be right for goosing the bassman for dual-uses? Maybe I'm better off mixing pair of G10Vs with 7424s (series-parallel) in the Bassman 10 and selling the 32ohm oxfords? (do people want 32 ohm spks)?

It's a complex world!
    Thanks in advance.
    Randy