Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

complications

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bigdavis_08, Oct 9, 2004.

1. Bigdavis_08

Bigdavis_08

Oct 7, 2004
    Hugoton, KS
    i'm having trouble deciding between the Spector Performer 5 string bass and the ESP Viper 305. The esp is 100$cheeper but the spector looks a lot nicer. Im generally gonna play hard rock and punk (KoRn,Rancid) so whats the better buy?

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Have you played both of them, standing up, with a strap?

The balance and the neck profile is different, when you compare one to the other.

If you like them both, and they are both comfortable, I would get the Spector.

3. Rhythmalism

Rhythmalism

Sep 25, 2004
    I don't really care for the viper, looks like it's trying too hard to mimic the EB-0. But either one would treat you well, both decent basses.

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    +1 Dont really like the Viper.

5. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    The Viper shape on ESP's guitars and basses is a modification of a SG shape, slantedish. It's not that huge of a resembelance to me, but YMMV. Anyway, that's just looks, right?

6. personally i dont like either...why not get a 5 string fender? or check ebay for a seccond hand ibanez ATK 5er

7. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    Both nice basses, but IMHO the Spector plays and looks a lot better! ;) :bassist:

8. hmmm.. i think your opinon seems to be a bit biased :D ;)

9. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    Maybe a little bit..... but based on 'sound' experience, Mr Kubicki man!!! :D ;)

10. wish i had as many kubickis as you did spectors.....id be so damn happy....and in debt for strings..it'd cost me liek $800 - $1000 just for strings :meh: