Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

compliments on a cheap bass?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Greg Johnsen, Feb 19, 2006.

1. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    ok, so I went to GC today for new strings and a setup for my fretless squier I just modded. I took it to the counter and the guy immediately said that he liked my bass, and asked what company made it (it had a blank SX neck on it), and I told him it was a squire with a cheap neck, he looked at me funny and said "you're kidding right?" afyter I left the counter, I sat down to mess around with my bass, someone came over and said how killer my bass sounded (with 5 dollar pickups) and he asked my what kind of bass it was, I said the same thing and he was like " woah, nice job on the fix up". After that, I went to go pay for everything, and a guy asked my what kind of schecter it was, I told him it was a squire, and he was like "wow, I have to get me on of those".

I thinl it's the pickguard that's doing most of the workm cause black on sunburst is awesome. but yah, I thought you guys would like this cause I thought it was hilarious that I got good comments on a cheap bass.

Greg

2. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    Yea my jazz professor who is a tone monster.. everything has to be perfect with him, said my SX was one of the best basses he's ever heard.

3. You must've got a good one! I've been lucky with my basses - I bought a squier off a mate at work for 60 quid - plugged it in and it sounded JUST as good as my hot mexican Jazz (and 3 times better than my 5-string mex). I then took it to bass lesson and as soon as I plugged it in, my teacher just said "Woah! theres a lot of output coming from those pickups!" - I just thought "yeah, I've just got another good 'un for only 60 quid!"

Oh yeah - guess which bass I was playing when my band did our last gig and got 3 more gigs on the strengh of our sound!

You just gotta be lucky - theres a certain amount of skill and knowing what you like involved, but ultimately its luck. I was very lucky - I bought it and gave my mate the money whilst at work having not even tried it through an amp...I did think about putting Seymore Duncan hot pickups in, but I soon found out I didn't need to.

4. I sort of get that sometimes. People think my £100 Westfield sounds absolutely fantastic.

5. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    A cheap bass doesn't mean it is a bad bass.

6. All that said - even if you get a Squier that sounds and plays nice, if you're in a band on tour trying to make it - you don't use it, coz agents and guitarists at gigs will automatically think "ah Squier...they're crap, this bands not going to get anywhere because they haven't even got any decent gear" - I know, its very finiky, but I personally wouldn't use it for gigs in an originals band - for a covers band or studio work its fine coz covers bands aren't going to make it, and in the studio they'll just want a good sound. Even though I know good gear from bad - I saw a band with a mexican jazz and, although I know they can be better than american Fenders, I still (for some reason) thought "ah - a mexican...not bad, but not that great either"

I dunno - it's brand loyalty and all that stuff innit? - because they were signed I automatically had expectations on the bassist to at least use a Japanese Fender...maybe its because I myself have 2 and have not yet gotten to the point where I've been in the studio for anything...

7. fr0me0

fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    I can kinda see your point, but I think if you sound that good that you are going to be noticed I don't think wht you are playing will hold you back. If you really blow someone away they arn't going to discredit you cause you are playing a squire. But I see what you mean when you all get on stage with cheap gear you might get discredited at first but if your sound really blows them away they'll froget about what you are playing.

8. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    lol, too bad the neck doesn't say squier on it (it's an SX neck with no print, so I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it yet). I do agree though, I stay clear of squier's when I go into GC. I usually go straight to the fender jazzes, and the MM sterlings. That's pretty much all I mess around with there becuase one of those is going to be my next bass ( most likely the H/S natural ash sterling I played). I do think it's cool that even if the gear is crap, it's how you play it that matters.
    oh, I have some pics so you guys can see.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Greg

9. Tired_Thumb

Tired_Thumb Guest

I was told that my SX was one of the best sounding basses the guy's ever heard, and that was in a metal band.

10. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I agree to a point. I play in a few pickup bands and the Fender on the headstock immediately puts everybody at ease. It dosen't matter if it is MIA/J/M, it just has to say Fender.

Initial impressions are very important.

11. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    further proof that the tone is in the fingers.

12. Tehdouglas

Tehdouglas

Feb 10, 2006
    NH
    Curious, is there any 5 string SX basses? I'd love to save some cash on a new guitar and it sure as hell sounds like theyre worth it.

13. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
  14. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    I replied in your other thread. There's something about a maple neck with no inlays that is simply striking to me. That's one sharp bass you have.

I plan on putting a fretless maple neck on a black PJ SX with black PG and chrome neck pup cover.

15. Tehdouglas

Tehdouglas

Feb 10, 2006
    NH
    I might pick up the Douglas SB-35 SN Ash, so is the bass good to go or do you need new strings/pickups to make it good?

16. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    The only thing wrong with it is it came unfinished, and maple is a relatively soft wood, so I'm already starting to get a little wear from the flat wounds. And I do have to agree, maple on SB is awesome, and when I get chrome ashtrays, it's gonna be one hot bass (I'm not going to use a thumbrest, it gets in the way when I slap and I can easily put my thumb on the pickguard if necessary).

There's a soundclip in my other thread in the Luthier's corner if anyone is interested in hearing it.

Greg

17. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    I'm glad to hear it's unfinished, as I've heard that they need a good leveling before being able to take low action. I was worried about getting a neck with a finished fretboard and having to strip and refinish the whole thing in order to level it.

In your other thread you said that the plastic inserts were falling out, or did I read incorrectly? What do you plan on finishing it with?

The only difference between yours and the one I'll make is that mine is most likely going to be black/black instead of SB. Not sure what pickups I'll use yet...

18. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    No, they're stuck in there, the reason why is because there's so much glue, and that makes the board un level, so if Hambone can do it, I'm going to pay him to level and epoxy it.

Greg

19. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

I have just started doing some informal shedding with a local bass player that I met at a music shop. This cat is BAD ... chops/tone & groove up the ying yang. Pretty well known/respected on the local music scene and has gigged all over the country. He's been playing bass for about 25 years.

Before we got started playing, he asked me about my various basses. Picked em up and felt them out a bit. Before I gave him my SX, I simply said ... "I'm not going to say a word about this bass. Just play it for awhile."

He picked it up, played it for a while. Looked up and down the neck, nodded approvingly, and played it some more. After that, I said "How much do you think I paid for that?"

He said, "Hmmm -- about 6-700 dollars?"

He was totally blown away when I told him I only paid $120. :eek:

In all fairness, my SX has been seriously cosmetically modded and it has been set up extremely well by an outstanding bass tech. Even so, I was pleased!

[​IMG]

20. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    And you should be.

Are you using tapewounds on that? If so, which ones and how do you like them?