Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

compliments you love to hear...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by xshawnxearthx, Aug 15, 2005.

1. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    so this weekend my band played a few shows. i love getting compliments on my bass sound....

soundguy friday night: "dude, that amp sounds so good. i didnt even need to mic your cab. it is seriously the best bass sound i have heard in all the years i've been doing live sound."

sounguy sunday night: "i must say, im not really into hc, but your bass sound is sick." i also said to him, that he may not need to mic me. so he argued for a few minutes with me while i set up. i kept saying, dude wait till everything is ready, you will see. so he sets up a mic and a di box. so, i plugged right in, and turned it on. he comes back over to me ten seconds after i turned on and he said, "yeah, you are right, they will hear that rumble all the way across state line(we were close to pa).

:hyper:

2. Mixmasta J

Mixmasta J

Dec 4, 2004
    when your playing and you finish and that cute girl n the crowd walks up. You think oh boy here it comes (another person gonna confuse bass with guitar), and she says "I love how you play the bass" :p

3. bassontherun

bassontherun

Jul 9, 2005
    "Hey, you guys don't suck near as bad as we thought you would!"

4. The Nanny

The Nanny

Dec 23, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    my singer doesn't play air guitar between verses, he plays air bass. 'nuff said.

5. daofktr

daofktr irritating, yet surly

Feb 15, 2005
    aurora, IN
    ...when a black keyboardist tells a black bassist that this white boy is waaaaay funkier than he'll ever be...:p
    ...and when said keyboardist calls said white boy 'my n***a'
    :D
    ps...nuthin' racist meant or implied in the above anecdote, so don't get huffy. it just warmed the cockles of my wittle cwacker heart.

6. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    see, now that is funn.

7. Jeb

Jeb

Jul 22, 2001
    USA
    I sometimes feel a little intimidated when I recognize other thumpers in the audience. When they seek me out during break, shake my hand and say "nice job!"

Well that ususally feels pretty good.

8. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    "wow 3 times in 4 hours!"

9. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Always good when that happens.

10. being told about having a different sort of sound - most people really dig my trace and gibson set up :)

although this isnt a compliment, i really dig when people ask for more info about us and our websites etc!

11. Feels good when people ask you to be in THEIR band. :p

12. Even just seeing the peoples look on their faces when you know the band is cooking and youre in the pocket

13. Louse

Louse

Aug 15, 2005

Bwaaaahaa haa haa haa haa!!!!

14. QORC

QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    East Coast
    from a seriously great, pro-session drummer I recently played with:

"You're one of the best bassists I've ever played with"

That stuck with me. It's one thing to get it from the drunk unknowing public, who wouldn't know Geddy Lee from Getty Oil, but to hear it from a guy who has played on pro tours, on pro sessions - yeah, it felt good.

15. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    "Hey, you didn't break the stage! And you guys ain't all that ugly... till you get up close!"

16. "It's twue! It's twue!"

17. MazeMouse

MazeMouse

Jan 27, 2005
    Netherlands
    Jam session. Afterwards I get off-stage a random person from the audience jumpes up to me and shouts at the top of her voice "I think you're a great bassist" out of the blue (Or litterally "Ik vind jou een kei goeie bassist" but I don't think many of you are dutch or can read dutch)
    That sure caught me off-guard :D

furthermore the "I love the way you move your fingers" (fingerstyle playing)

And the "I love that slap thingy you're doing in that song" made me go :eek: because that guy was/is a guitarist.

Furthermore the "WHOA DUDE!" when I crank up the volume and burst the intro to "Stone Sour - Orchids" or "Dream Theater - The Glass Prison" (that low-B is why I love my 5string. RUMBLE!)
    The songs both might not be the hardest in the world but I love them :)

The only bad thing about this is that I'm way too modest to get compliments and actually acknowledge them. I feel as if most people are just telling me I'm doing great just to make me feel better.
    But if some dude with 40+ years of music experience (gigging, studio, theory, writing songs, etc) tells you after a show that he really loves my bass sound and thinks my technique is great it's hard NOT to believe him.

(I value musicians opinions over the "normal audience". I use normal audience to gauge how well the show went and use the musicians to evaluate my playing :D)

18. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Other bassists who play YOUR tunes in their soundcheck :)

19. kansas666

kansas666

Sep 20, 2004
    "Dude! I love your Rick"

(I was playing a Stingray) :meh:

20. retitled

retitled

Feb 13, 2004
    forest hills

i dont get it... :(